Quite the sci-fi theme in this week’s edition of Trailer Watch, with footage from After Earth, Oblivion and Pacific Rim. But that’s not why you’re here. You’re here to watch the first full-length trailer for Man of Steel. And maybe The Lone Ranger, but probably not. Ain’t nobody got time for that.

Man of Steel

A full-length trailer for Zack Snyder’s Superman reboot has been a long ime coming. Now that it’s finally here, I admit I’m feeling cautiously optimistic. Superman is an extremely difficult character to portray on-screen, and it looks like Snyder and writers Christopher Nolan and David S. Goyer have gone to great lengths to try and ground this extraordinary character in an ordinary world. Going back to an origins story, Man of Steel will chronicle Clarke Kent/Kal-El’s (Henry Cavill) early years on planet Earth as he struggles to embrace his identity as its superhuman saviour and battle the evil Kryptonian, General Zod (Michael Shannon). Man of Steel also stars Amy Adams, Kevin Costner, Diane Lane, Russell Crowe and Laurence Fishburne. It’ll be released on 14th June 2013.

After Earth

Does anyone look forward to a new M. Night Shyamalan film? After the disasters that were The Last Airbender and The Happening, it almost seems like he thinks no one will be watching anymore, so he can do what he wants. A futuristic post-apocalyptic venture, After Earth stars Will Smith and Son as a… father and son… who crash land on a planet that was evacuated by humans 1,000 years earlier. Make of it what you will.

Oblivion

Tom Cruise seems to be reinventing himself as a big sci-fi star, with Oblivion and All You Need Is Kill being released next year. Here he plays the all-American Jack Harper, one of the last drone repairmen based on Earth, working alongside Andrea Riseborough. But when he discovers that Morgan Freeman is living underground with Olga Kurylenko and thinks get kind of convoluted and silly. Forgive me if I’m not optimistic, but it’ll be released on 12th April 2013.

Pacific Rim

Guillermo Del Toro returns to the director’s chair after five years away with Pacific Rim, which sees an alien attack threatening to destroy Earth. When all hope seems lost, giant robots piloted by humans are deployed to battle the extra-terrestrial foes. With Idris Elba and Sons of Anarchy‘s Charlie Hunnam in the lead roles, you’d be forgiven for feeling optimistic about this, but I can’t help but feel like Del Toro has played his hand too soon. Now that we’ve seen the giant robots and the monsters, what else is left for us to see? Is this just a mash-up of Real Steel, Transformers and King Kong/Godzilla/Cloverfield? Del Toro has an impressive track record, so we can only wait and see. Pacific Rim will be released on 12th July 2013.

The Lone Ranger

Gore Verbinski seems to have found the middle ground between Pirates of the Caribbean and Rango with this update of the classic Western character, now played by Armie Hammer. Johnny Depp seems to be playing a caricature of himself as a caricature of the wise Cherokee sidekick, Tonto. The film will see him recounting tales of how lawman John Reid was transformed into the anonymous do-gooder, and will be released on 9th August 2013.

What do you think of this week’s trailers? Have your say in the comments section below!

Josh Franks

Review - The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

Game Consoles Find New Uses