January is upon us; that month of perpetual gloom. We find ourselves emotionally spent, adrift on a sea of revision and daunting word counts. Nothing to look forward to, nowhere to run, nowhere to hide.

However, life could be worse. You could be whiling away your days at one of these delightful attractions…

British Lawnmower Museum – Merseyside

One of the world’s ‘leading authorities’ on vintage lawnmowers, this is a museum that really gets the blood racing and the heart pounding. Exhibits include ‘Lawnmowers of the Rich and Famous’, and ‘Lawnmower Racing’.

Why not really push the boat out and purchase the LawnmowerWorld DVD or the LawnmowerWorld T-shirt?

The Cumberland Pencil Museum – Keswick

Ever daydreamed about what the world’s biggest pencil looks like? No, neither have we.

But if you harbour a penchant for pencils, part with just £15 of hard earned dollar for an annual ticket so that you can relive the experience over and over.

Tour of Britain’s Best Roundabouts

The roundabout is an integral part of daily life for all road users, but the gyratory intersection is hugely underappreciated. When was the last time you took a few seconds to really bask in the light of a great roundabout?

Well, one man has dedicated his life’s work to such an appreciation. Kevin Beresford, the president of the UK Roundabout Appreciation Society claims: “I have to admit I’ve travelled from John O’Groats to Land’s End in my search for the perfect, holy grail gyratory and now I think I’ve found it in the city of York.” If you share a similar passion, then don’t miss out on Kevin’s ‘Best of British Roundabouts’ 2013 calendar while stocks last.

Teapot Island – Kent

We’re British. We love to queue and groan about the weather, but do you know what we love even more? Tea.

Teapot Island is a quintessentially British attraction that demonstrates one woman’s dedication to The Teapot. Sue, custodian of Teapot Island, has amassed 6,500 teapots from all over the world in her arduous yet evidently prosperous career. Pay just £2.50 to view all 6,500 teapots, a guaranteed mind-numbing day out for all the family.

Bakelite Museum – Somerset

‘The material of a thousand uses.’

Britain’s largest collection of vintage plastic – ranging from interwar telephones and egg cups to napkin rings and even a Bakelite coffin, this museum is a shrine to redundant rubbish. If you feel that you haven’t spent sufficient time browsing plastic, never fear, there are caravans stationed outside waiting for you to spend the night there.

Hold onto your hats, folks.

Helena Murphy

Photo courtesy of CGP Grey

Follow Impact Travel on Twitter and Facebook

An Acquired Taste - Impact Reviews Avengers XXX: A Porn Parody

Review - Django Unchained

1. Nick
    January 24, 2013 at 13:35 — Reply

I was oddly drawn to the pencil museum.