Has anyone ever noticed how quickly time seems to pass sometimes?  It seems to happen at this time of the year more than any other.  No sooner has the term ended, it seems, before Christmas is over and we find ourselves, two days away from the deadline, with two whopping great essays still to write. 

When you have to do work, time has a habit passes exceptionally slowly, while you twiddle your thumbs and try to decide whether using the words per se will make you sound intelligent or pretentious.  Of course, once you start working and get into the groove of things, you find that you’ve lost hours and hours, which have passed by in a blur while you’ve been trapped in an essay-induced writing frenzy.  You may only have written 400 words, but an entire day has been lost in the process.

As you get older, time seems to play tricks on you.  Years, which when you were a kid seemed to last for decades, now pass rapidly.  Or so it seems.  Probably, when you were a kid, you didn’t pay much attention to that kind of thing.  You were probably playing football or making a tent out of a duvet and some cushions: far too busy to give a shit about whether time was passing or not.

Perhaps that’s the problem with adulthood.  We spend so much time obsessing over time: worrying about sleeping in, staying up too late (okay, maybe not so much this one), being late for things, killing time waiting for things to happen, filling your time, finding time to do things, making time for people, looking at the time, wondering if you’re wasting your time… the list is endless.  Time is an addiction – it is an abstract framework that we allows to define our entire lives.

Humans probably attribute too much importance to the concept of time.  After all, when was the last time you saw a penguin late for a meeting?  Animals don’t care about time.  It’s debatable as to whether cats even acknowledge that it exists.  They’re all the more happy for it, as well.  When was the last time you saw a depressed swallow?  Fly south in Autumn; fly north in Spring.  That’s only two commitments a year.  I have eleven lectures a week.

The only logical solution I can see is to spearhead a revolution whereby humanity decides to ignore time and just get on with life at its own pace.  Unfortunately my lecturers don’t seem to agree with me, so I’m going to have to stop writing editorials and get back to finishing my essays off before I run out of time to hand them in.

Ben McCabe

The Return of David Bowie

Oscar Nominations 2013

1. T
    January 13, 2013 at 18:19 — Reply

Time is just a measurement of processes that happen, time does exist, you can ignore the way we measure it and the term time; but the phenomenon we call time does exist; problem is we’re too preoccupied with it like you said

2. Chris
    January 24, 2013 at 13:44 — Reply

I have thousands of seconds!