Several students expecting to receive their assessment results on the portal on Thursday have been provided with other students’ results.

The University’s intranet portal has been hit by widespread problems that continue to prevent many students from accessing the network. Several of those who have managed to log onto the portal have seen other people’s results instead of their own.

Thomas Polak, a Politics and American Studies student, was given two different people’s results: “I logged on to the Portal and got to the results page, and an engineering student’s results came up instead of mine. I logged out and in again and got another different person’s results. I’m still waiting for mine!”

Another politics student said: “When I got onto the transcript the grades were very different from what I was expecting. I quickly realised they were someone else’s and I was completely stunned.” He added: “It was a complete and utter invasion of this guy’s privacy. I quickly exited the page but I had access to his whole academic transcript. It’s just a complete farce.”

With several attempts to fix the problem taking longer than anticipated throughout Thursday evening, Information Services posted the following update at the end of the day:

Education Officer, Matt Styles, issued the following statement:

“Due to problems experienced in previous years of the Portal system not being capable of handling the number of requests from students to view their marks, Information Services (IS) built an upgrade for the software.

“Although the new software is capable of handling the volume of users, a technical error meant that some users were receiving the marks for other students who had tried to access their marks.

“To prevent this from happening, the Portal has been taken down temporarily whilst IS work on a technical solution to the problem.

“In the meantime, if you feel you need your marks as a matter of urgency, or you wish to complain, please email the Academic Services Division at [email protected] and the Students’ Union Education Officer, Matt Styles, at [email protected].”

Win Tickets to See Example in Nottingham on 12th February

Review: Delilah Fine Foods

1. Kamiah
    February 7, 2013 at 13:31 — Reply

The only way I can get on at all/get ones that actually belong to me is by logging on with my phone. Probably coincidental but maybe worth a try for anyone who hasn’t got their result?

2. Jack
    February 7, 2013 at 14:34 — Reply

Is this really that big a deal? Just get on with your day and get your results tonight when they’ve fixed it. Exam obsession is kind of pathetic.

3. February 7, 2013 at 16:16 — Reply

@Jack – if the University is wrongly giving students other people’s results then yes, this is quite a big deal. The issue also comes from the fact that this has happened every results day I’ve experienced during my time here, and is an ongoing problem the uni still haven’t addressed.

4. Andy
    February 7, 2013 at 23:14 — Reply

I ended up just getting my results the old fashioned way. Went to my personal tutor, asked them for my appointment, got told my results. Not the bestw ay to find out, and I wonder if the university could work out a texting system, since they have our phone numbers anyway?

5. February 8, 2013 at 18:24 — Reply

It’s interesting. After a few nudges, IS developed a new version of the Portal software to stop the overloading issue happening; that aspect actually worked spot on.

There was a separate issue this time round where the wrong results were being sent back, but that didn’t come through in the communications too well.

@Andy – the problem with texting is it assumes every student has a phone (not all do), and that every student gives their mobile number to the University and keeps it up-to-date (again, plenty of students don’t). That said, something like email could work – every student has an email account, and new starters are on a cloud service, so the systems would be able to cope. Then make them available on the Portal at a later date so those who delete their emails can get to them later 🙂

6. Andy
    February 9, 2013 at 12:37 — Reply

@Matthew Styles Surely an email cloud just moves the issue to another website? Everyone trying to get on their emails. Couldn’t we revert back to the old results in an envelope, handed to you? I know Law do that, and their system seems quite efficient…