Photographer Jeff Cremer, the photo tour director of Rainforest Expeditions in Peru, has taken what is considered to be the world’s highest resolution image of Machu Picchu.

Set high in the Peruvian Andes, Machu Picchu can be seen in unprecedented detail in this 15.9 gigapixel image. Partially assisted with professional equipment, Cremer used a Canon 7D with a 400mm lens. Consisting of 1920 separate images recorded by a photo-robot in 11 hours 42 minutes, the photos were then stitched together to form the final product which allows viewers to zoom in with incredible detail.

‘Machu Picchu is one of the Seven Wonders of the World and is often referred to as the “Lost City of the Incas”, it is perhaps the most familiar icon of the Inca World,’ Cremer said on the website used to showcase the image.

‘In 2008, the World Monuments Fund placed Machu Picchu on its Watch List of the 100 Most Endangered Sites in the world because of environmental degradation due to tourism.

Beautiful, historical and threatened, I believe that this remarkable site deserved a remarkable photo.  I think that this image can help preserve this amazing place and bring more awareness to the site, its history and its endangered state.’

Machu Picchu was built in the 15th century and is situated above the Urubamba Valley in Peru, 50 miles north of Cusco. Most archaeologists agree that Machu Picchu was built as an estate for the Inca emperor Pachacuti, between the years 1438 – 1472. In 1911 the American historian Hiram Bingham brought Machu Picchu to international attention, and it is now considered one of the most famous icons of the Inca World.

View the image here: http://www.gigapixelperu.com

Helena Murphy

Photo courtesy of wanderlasss

Follow Impact Travel on Twitter and Facebook

Paris Haute Couture: Armani Privé S/S 2013

Review: No Time to Explain