Here’s Impact’s pick of the gigs hitting Nottingham this February. Be sure to check the Impact website for reviews after the gigs.

Folks, Bodega (4th February)

In recent years, many a band from Manchester have popped up on our radar, declaring themselves as the “New Oasis”, or the “second coming of Morrissey”. Folks are influenced by far out literature and are intelligent without being intolerable and their enthusiasm for music radiates through every tune. They genuinely are the band that the famous city has been crying out for and they bring their psychedelia to Bodega this month.

(tickets)

Wave Machines, Bodega (5th February)

After receiving a string of plaudits for their 2009 indie-folk debut, Wave If You’re Really There, Wave Machines returned in 2013 with Pollen, featuring experimental synths and dreamy vocals. Expect plenty of trippy electronica when they hit Bodega.

(tickets)

Funeral For a Friend, Rescue Rooms (8th February)

Welsh post-hardcore band Funeral for a Friend have chosen Nottingham as one of the stops on their European tour to promote their newly released album Conduit. Supporting acts include Such Gold, Major League and I Divide.

(tickets – sold out)

All Time Low, Rock City (11th February)

All Time Low return to Rock City for yet another sold out show after the recent release of their fifth studio album Don’t Panic. These pop-punk Californians can guarantee a fun night of catchy choruses and riffs and aren’t to be missed.

(tickets – sold out)

The History of Apple Pie, Bodega (11th February)

Friends with The Horrors, these trendy East-Londoners arrive at Bodega in support of their recent debut LP, Out Of View. An obvious comparison is My Bloody Valentine, with their shared appetite for distorted guitars and fluid basslines. Witness the current shoegaze revival in the flesh at Bodega this month.

(tickets)

Pure Love, Bodega (12th February)

Leaving their hardcore punk roots behind, Frank Carter and Jim Caroll delve into influences such as The Manic Street Preachers and The Darkness. Pure Love will be playing at Bodega, celebrating their debut album ‘Anthems’ which was  released on February 4th, and showcasing a side of them often seen before.

(tickets)

The 1975, Bodega (13th February)

Tipped by so many at the end of 2012 including Radio 1 and NME, The 1975 come to The Bodega. The indie band, who most recently released Chocolate will be one for fans of bands such as Theme Park and Bastille, as well as anyone with a keen interest in indie music. With a growing fan base, the Manchester based four piece will provide an exciting set for all present.

(tickets)

Jake Bugg, Rock City (15th February)

After supporting the likes of Noel Gallagher and The Stone Roses, Nottingham’s very own Jake Bugg is venturing out on his biggest UK tour to date. He will be stopping off in his home town on this tour to play a Rock City gig that sold out months ago. If you are lucky enough to have tickets, expect a special one.

(tickets – sold out)

Deftones, Rock City (16th February)

The only band of the Nu-Metal era worth listening to return to Nottingham on the back of their career defining album Koi No Yokan to shake the foundations of Rock City with their signature blend of haunting melody and raw aggression.

(tickets – sold out)

Rae Morris, Bodega (16th February)

Rae Morris may not have been at the game long but she’s already impressed enough people to earn spots touring with Noah and the Whale and Lianne La Havas in the last year.  Her shows consist of nothing more than her and a piano; her raw, impassioned delivery makes the most of some polished song writing.

(tickets)

I Am Kloot, Albert Hall (18th February)

Manc pub-trawlers I Am Kloot, who recently released their sixth studio album, Let It All In, to a largely positive reception, bring their brand of weather beaten beard-rock to Nottingham’s Albert Hall on February 18th. Expect something far more majestic than what the trench-coated figures on the poster seem to promise, Kloot are among the most overlooked and underrated bands in the UK.

(tickets)

Swim Deep, Bodega (18th February)

These hotly-tipped Birmingham boys certainly have an ear for a hook. Highly-acclaimed singles, ‘Honey’ and ‘King City’, are perfect examples of bass-driven electronica. Get down to Bodega to see them in intimate surroundings while you still can.

(tickets)

The Bronx, Rescue Rooms (20th February)

L.A. Hardcore Punk revivalists The Bronx are set to storm Nottingham with a high energy set of ballsy, angry punk rock that’s guaranteed to turn Rescue Rooms into a sweaty, flailing frenzy of flying limbs.

(tickets)

The Courteeners, Rock City (21st February)

Embarking on their biggest tour to date, Liam Fray et al. arrive at Rock City. The Manchester lads are touring their third studio album, ANNA, following up Falcon and their impressive debut album St. Jude. ANNA brings an 80s twist to their usual crowd pleasing indie and this sold out show will no doubt grab the hearts of many people from the East Midlands to go with their almost apostolic Northern following.

(tickets – sold out)

Frightened Rabbit, Rescue Rooms (21st February)

The Scottish lads of Frightened Rabbit are currently touring the release of their new album Pedestrian Verse. Having been in the game since 2003 they now have a decent back catalogue. They’ve also developed a cult following, though the fan base perhaps isn’t as big as they deserve. Back in December they told Impact they “never want to let the energy drop”, combining this with the new album’s blend of intimacy and a ‘big’ sound makes Frightened Rabbit an extremely passionate band armed with some incredible live music.

(tickets – sold out)

The Joy Formidable, Rescue Rooms (24th February)

“Hear them roar” said NME’s Lisa Wright of The Joy Formidable in 2011, and you will be able to do just that in Nottingham this month. The band recently released their sophomore album, Wolf’s Law, to a great critical reception.

(tickets – sold out)

Of Monsters & Men, Rock City (25th February)

Of Monsters And Men began to experience explosive UK success at the end of 2012 with their début release, My Head Is An Animal. The Icelandic band’s Indie-Pop album peaked at number 3 in the UK and topped Björk’s Volta as the best chart-performing Icelandic album in US history. Of Monsters & Men have now embarked on a worldwide tour fuelled by their success, bringing them to Nottingham’s Rock City on the 25th February. From Sigur Rós to Björk, Icelandic artists are famous for being mesmerising live performers; Of Monsters And Men seem unlikely to be an exception.

(tickets – sold out)

Fenech-Soler, Bodega (28th February)

Fenech Soler released their first album back in 2010 and followed it up with giant headline tours, as well as supporting bands such as Friendly Fires. The band faced a setback after Ben Duffy was diagnosed with testicular cancer, but thankfully Ben had a full recovery, which was great news to all. With this being their first tour back, Fenech-Soler are keen to make a powerful comeback and the release of ‘All I Know’ – their first song since the début album, suggests this gig can only be one thing: amazing.

(tickets – sold out)

Adam Keyworth, Alex Neely, Hailey Mawhinney, Daniel Jones, Jack Dixon, Emily Shackleton, Ben McCabe, Kamiah Overaa, Liam Coleman, Bradley Finney & Ian Fillingham

Album Review: My Bloody Valentine - 'm b v'

A Tale of Two Quarterbacks