Nottingham’s sexual health services are the best in the country, according to a new survey of the Russell Group universities. The University was awarded a ‘first’ in its ‘Sexual Health Report Card’, created by Dr Ed, an online medical service.

Dr Ed’s research marks universities’ sexual health services in 10 classes, including their provision of contraceptives, the quality of sexual assault services, opening hours and the availability of online sexual health info.

The University received As in all but two categories. The availability of drop-in sessions was marked D and the quality of the University’s sexual assault service was given a C.

While Nottingham, King’s College London and Bristol received ‘firsts’, Durham, Manchester and Cardiff all failed to scrape a third.

Amit Khutti, founder of Dr Ed, told Impact: “The University performed fantastically well in almost every area of the sexual health report card.

“Nottingham should act as the benchmark for how all other universities administer their sexual health services,” Khutti added.

Equal Opportunities and Welfare Officer, Mike Dore, said he wasn’t surprised that the University has come out top: “The team of professionals at Cripps Health Centre have students’ needs at the forefront of their minds.”

Dore continued: “With the C+ scheme for over 25s and more sexual health road shows, we are constantly looking to improve and expand the service.”

Assessment of universities’ sexual health services was pioneered in the US in 2006, where the US Air Force Academy currently sits at the bottom of the rankings. Dr Ed plans to extend the scheme across more UK universities.

The online medics claims their report will lead to healthy competition between British universities.

Last month, a report conducted by Brook and the Family Planning Association (FPA) revealed that government cuts to sexual health services could cost the UK over £136 billion.

FPA stated: “Short-sighted reforms to vital contraception and other sexual health services could lead to a significant increase in the number of unintended pregnancies and sexually transmitted infections (STIs), the consequences of which could saddle the UK with a £136.7 billion NHS and welfare burden by 2020.”

Students can sign up to the C-Card scheme in Portland today between 12 and 2.

Oscar Williams

Review - The Joy of Six

Review - Moulin Rouge

1. […] of the online doctor’s site, Amit Khutti, admitted he was inspired by a similar operation carried out in the US by condom manufacturer, […]