Tomates Farcies de Mathilde (Mathilde’s Stuffed Tomatoes)

Ingredients

60g Sausage meat with herbs

1 big onion

Chopped cheddar

4 big tomatoes

Salt

Pepper

2 teaspoons of olive oil

2 teaspoon of Herbes de Provence

Preparation

Wash the four tomatoes carefully and slice the top of the tomatoes, where the stem is. Keep the tomatoes’ hats on the side, as they will be used later to close the tomatoes. With the help of a knife and spoon carefully empty the inside of the tomatoes and put them in a bowl.

Chop the onion into squares, the smaller they are the more stuffing you will be able to be put inside the tomatoes.

In the bowl with the tomato insides add the sausage meat, the chopped onions and mix. This is easier using kitchen scissors . Once the ingredients have the consistency of mashed potato add the chopped cheddar and mix. Season the mixture and add one teaspoon of Herbes de Provence.

Put the empty tomatoes into an ovenproof dish a separate container that will be able to go inside an oven. With the help of a spoon or with your hands fill each tomato completely with the mixture from the bowl, there will be more than enough, it’s normal for mixture to overflow a bit above the tomatoes’ borders. Once stuffed put the tomatoes’ hats saved earlier on top to close.

Pour the two teaspoons of olive oil gently on top of the four stuffed tomatoes and do the same with the last teaspoon of Herbes de Provence. You can add some more salt and pepper if preferred.

Put in the oven preheated to 180 degrees for 45 minutes. Make sure that the sausage meat looks cooked and normally when cooked the four tomatoes will be in a bath of sauce. They are ready to be served; usually it is one tomato per person and it is eaten with rice.

You can also add some of the stuffing inside some peppers to add some variation.

Biscuits à la Crème (Cream Biscuits)

Ingredients

120g of butter

200g of flour

80g of sugar

1 pinch of salt

3 tablespoons of crème fraîche épaisse/ heavy crème fraîche

2 eggs

2 egg yolks

1 tablespoon of sugar for each batch of cooked biscuits

Preparation

In a saucepan or microwave melt the butter, being careful not to boil it. Once melted put it aside so it can cool down.

In a bowl put the flour, sugar and salt together and mix. Add the lukewarm butter carefully into the bowl and the three generous tablespoons of crème fraîche. Blend the ingredients with the help of a whisk or a spatula. Then beat the eggs and the other two egg yolks into the prepared mixture. Leave the completed dough to chill inside your fridge for an hour.

Remember to preheat your oven to 180 degrees or gas mark 6 at least half an hour beforehand, and start getting your batches of biscuits ready to cook. It will be quick and simple from then on. Using two teaspoons, scoop the cooled dough in to small balls no bigger than a walnut and place on the baking tray. Make sure that the uncooked biscuits are about 7cm apart from each other as they will melt and spread slightly on cooking.

Put in the oven for 12 to 15 minutes, the biscuits should be a light shade of brown once they are properly cooked. Take the first batch out of the oven and place the hot biscuits on a separate plate carefully, sprinkle them with one tablespoon full of sugar. Once the baking tray is cold again make a second batch of biscuits until you have no more dough left.

The cream biscuits can be served warm or cold. They are perfect to eat with ice cream, tea, hot chocolate or even by themselves. Enjoy my favorite childhood recipe!

Les Gâteaux préférés d’Obélix recipe written by Marie-Christine Crabos.

Translated from French by Mathilde Bayle.

Nottingham to London in 49 Minutes

Album Review: Foals - 'Holy Fire'