It has been confirmed that five candidates for the SU Elections have stepped down.

Fady Atia (Education Officer), Gurneet Singh (President), Amy Green (Women’s Officer) Anoushka Nayee (Activities Officer) and Tien Dung Nguyen (Education) have all decided that they no longer wish to run for office.

Last week, Impact announced that Singh had decided to stand down in order to focus on his course.

“I am no longer running for the position of SU President due to the fact that I want to concentrate on my degree and try to further my career in Finance.”

Speaking to Impact, Green said that the main reason for her withdrawal was not being able to commit enough time to campaigning due to coursework stresses. However, she admitted that running against joint candidates, Nina Humphries & Krishna Shah, was a contributing factor.

“The main reason [for stepping down] is because I feel the campaigning period will require quite a lot of time and commitment and due to the tonne of coursework I have been given this semester – particularly in campaigning period – I would not have the time to campaign as well as I would have hoped. I just wish I had realised a bit sooner before I had put myself forward.

“I do think that running against two people as a joint candidate would have increased the pressure for me in the campaigning period, as I feel having two people as a Women’s Officer would mean double the effort and double the commitment, and I’m sure a lot of students would have felt this way too, putting the pair at a slight advantage. So overall due to my studies I don’t think I would have had the time to compete with such a strong candidate(s).”

Atia, a GEM (graduate entry medicine) student, decided to pull out of the elections due to the fact that he was unaware that the role of Education Officer is a full-time position.

“[I] have been a course rep during the pre-clinical course. I thought the position of education officer would give me a chance to carry on with my interests in voicing students concerns to the university, and therefore applied. However, there was no explicit indication on the website that this is a full-time role that required me to suspend my course for one year. I have realised later and thus decided to step down because I can’t really suspend my course for one year.”

Update 4/3 Niralini Thayaparan has now pulled out of the race for Education Officer.

Ellis Schindler, Antonia Paget and Fiona Crosby

Fresh Meat stars to pull pints in Mooch for Comic Relief

I’ve turned 24 and I’m bloody terrified

1. B
    February 25, 2013 at 17:04 — Reply

Oh deer!

2. Tommy W
    February 25, 2013 at 22:28 — Reply

You must be kidding aren’t you

3. Voter
    February 26, 2013 at 07:47 — Reply

Lol Fady Atia.

4. Bane
    February 26, 2013 at 12:44 — Reply

You have been supplied with a false idol to stop you from tearing down this corrupt university! Let me tell you the truth about Amos Teshuva from the words of one of Nottingham’s former candidates for SU President, Gurneet Singh.

“The Student body didn’t elect Amos Teshuva, they saved my boy then took the blame for Amos’ appalling crimes so that I could, to my shame, build a lie around this fallen idol. I praised the mad man who tried to murder my own child but I can no longer live with my lie. It is time to trust the people of Nottingham with the truth and it is time for me to resign.”

And do you accept this man’s resignation? Do you accept the resignation of all these liars? Of all the corrupt?

5. Emily
    February 26, 2013 at 23:56 — Reply

Interesting that 3 of the 4 to step down are BAME (black and minority ethnic) students. What percentage of those still running are straight, white, males now?! Also, someone should tell the medic that we had a medic president a few years ago – it is possible, and fine!

6. Daniel Cooper
    February 27, 2013 at 13:58 — Reply

I was one of those candidates who quickly withdrew a couple of years ago. I completely underestimated quite how much time it takes to get banners, posters, videos etc ready to go even before you have to worry about trips to far away campuses and nightly campaigning in all the clubs.

If you are serious about running for Exec I would say have a campaign ready to go some *months* in advance. Third year is tough enough with dissertations and coursework deadlines hitting about now and I can completely understand why some candidates would think that student politics isn’t worth risking the 2.1 for.