New York Fashion Week has come to a close, so now is the time to steal, ogle, re-create, experiment and most importantly immerse ourselves into to all things fashion and beauty. Fashion week is the opportunity to seek inspiration from all the designers and makeup artists that work ever so hard to create fascinating, and daring looks for all us mere mortal students to mimic. Although Marc Jacobs’ initial announcement at New York Fashion Week that, thanks to storm Nemo, the show would be cancelled, caused us all to momentarily sob a little. Fear not however, for it wasn’t, and New York Fashion Week was restored and left us with an array of beauty trends that we just can’t seem to keep our hands off…

Extra High Liner featured at Rag and Bone

This look concentrates on lining the sockets of the eye to give a shape, rather than the lash line, this is perfect for those of you who have not got a steady hand when applying eye liner, as the looser the hand grip the better!

Purple and Blue is the New Black featured at Dior and Jason Wu

It’s time to brighten up those eyes and put away your gothic black chic eyeliner. Bright bold purple and blue eyes were a show stopper at New York Fashion week, reiterating the fact that colour pop eye shadow is not just for the 80’s!

The No Make –Up Make-Up featured at DKNY and Tommy Hillfiger

The emphasis on this look is maintaining a fresh face without foundation. To achieve this look use a good hydrating skin moisturiser and apply concealer under the eye only. Brush your brows and keep them natural, and for the lips add a slightly tinted lip balm or dap your favourite lipstick colour onto the lips.

The Blood Stained Lip featured at Marc Jacobs and 3.1 Phillip Lim

The multi-dimension red lip still lingers. This red lip has more of a twist, the idea behind it is that the lip has a more bitten and stained look, think more ‘I’ve had a couple of glasses of red wine’ and you’re on the right track. Do experiment and mix different shades of red to accentuate the dramatic take on the new red lip.

The Ponytail featured at Donna Karen, Victoria Beckham and Alexander Wang

The equestrian super slick ponytail was a show stopper on the catwalk. Models embraced the tightly swept ponytail without parting to add texture to the look. Alexander Wang opted for different coloured extensions for the bottom of the ponytail. The sleek ponytail can be used every day with a little bit of gel and a bristle brush to get all those baby hairs that may stray. Wear it high, tight and sleek! Victoria Beckham opted for a school girl ponytail which is slightly more messy and loosely hung for those of you who would rather a more casual look.

The Twist and the Braid featured at Valentino, Gucci and Pucci

Hair was manipulated in fresh, new directions this season on the catwalk. Whether braided around the crown, coiled half-back or knotted into an updo, these looks may require an extra pair of hands but can also be styled in a more simplistic and classic way. Whichever style you choose, you are bound to look extra cute this season by giving your hair this creative and refreshing makeover.

From Kate Spade to Nicole Miller’s Spring ’13 line, designers are letting us know that the “anything but bland” nail art trend is certainly not going anywhere just yet. And to be honest it looks like the vibrant and eye catching nails were the ones who were stealing the show!

Kimishka Naidoo

Varsity Ice Hockey: Uni Stifle Trent Comeback

Around the World on Six Railways