Two Thousand and Sixteen people watched in the Capital FM arena as the University of Nottingham took the lead in the varsity series thanks to two strong performances from our men’s and women’s basketball sides.

The women’s side dominated the game from the early stages and never looked like letting their lead slip despite a tight score-line with a 51-47 victory over Trent. Bethany Stevens gave a player of the match performance but it was a great team performance that saw them come out on top with Amelia Reynolds defending superbly at times and Marie Bruse contribution significantly to Nottingham’s point tally.

Nottingham controlled the first half and it finished with a six point lead over Trent at 24-18. A similar second half saw Nottingham to victory despite a spirited Trent comeback led by Pippa Burrell but in the end, Nottingham’s women were too strong for their opponents.

The men’s basketball side didn’t enjoy the same level of domination that the women did. Trent started the match strongly and although Nottingham managed to keep within touching distance, Trent’s Jojo Ansah produced a strong performance which saw them take the first half 42-35. The third quarter looked to be more of the same finishing 53-47 before an extraordinary comeback led by Ibey Agbaje saw Nottingham complete an astonishing 83-70 victory. Aaron Brown’s three consecutive three pointers in the first quarter was a particular highlight for Nottingham.

The Nottingham crowd were in loud voice throughout, even when the Trent fans thought they were home and dry in the second half of the men’s game. The atmosphere undoubtedly had an impact on the turnaround which also saw us take a 2-1 lead in the Varsity series. Both the men and the women’s side gave us plenty to cheer in two battling performances.

Yannick Mitchell

Nottingham Women dominate Trent in impressive display

Dodgeball: The next big thing?