BME 1111 overall

Yasmin 934

RON 162

Yamsin Talsi has been elected as the SU’s new BME (Black, Ethnic and Minority) Officer with a total of 934 votes.

She said she was relieved and excited about being elected, and says that her first steps will be to set up A BME Committee before the end of the year, the first committee of its kind.

Yasmin’s manifesto points included wanting to create a safe space for religious groups, wanting to look into the reasons why UoN students from non-white backgrounds and students from white backgrounds, with the same qualifications, achieve lower outcomes in their degrees, and lobbying the SU shop to provide more Halal and Kosher food.

Yasmin speaks with admiration about current BME Officer Shabeena Raja, and says that she wants to continue on building up the network.

Shabina told Impact that she was “very very glad [Yasmin] got the amount of votes she got.” She also said that regarding the 10,000 vote target that she was “so happy, we’d got into networks we never had before.”

When asked about the voter turnout exceeding 10,000, Yasmin said she feels a huge sense of pride, and as this is the largest turnout ever in Nottingham, she “feels more accountable to [the] students” she represents.

Yasmin says she will be celebrating her election with a quiet night in as she’s “drained”.

Over 10,000 Students Vote In SU Elections 2013

MATURE STUDENTS OFFICER ANNOUNCED