As Nottingham thaws its way into Spring, find here what live music you should be excited about in our fine city. Be sure to check the Impact website for reviews after the gigs.

Reel Big Fish, Rock City (3rd March)

Having released a new album last July, Californian ska punk band Reel Big Fish have now kicked off an extensive European tour. Known for their swinging saxes and funky style, this is sure to be one of the most energetic performances Nottingham has seen in a while, so put your skanking shoes on.

(tickets)

Jon Boden, Glee Club (3rd March)

Jon Boden is best known for leading the raucously fun folk band Bellowhead, but within folk circles he’s recognised as being one of the best encyclopaedias for mostly forgotten old songs. With an excellent backing band (including several other members of Bellowhead), this promises to exemplify the best the modern English folk scene has to offer.

(tickets)

Disclosure, Rescue Rooms (5th March)

After supporting the giants that are SBTRKT and Hot Chip, these two brothers from Surrey are arriving in Nottingham to play to a sold out Rescue Rooms. Last time Disclosure were meant to play Rescue Rooms with SBTRKT, ticket sales were so excessive that the show was moved to Rock City. After visiting the Balearics in 2012, the duo with a combined age of below 40, will bring an energetic yet polished set.

(tickets – sold out)

Tom Odell, Rescue Rooms (6th March)

Tom Odell followed the likes of Adele and Florence & The Machine by winning the BRITs Critics’ Choice Award this year. Having also been nominated for the BBC’s Sound of 2013, it is felt that this could be a big year for this quiet singer songwriter from Chichester. His Rescue Rooms gig is likely to be one of the last chances to catch this upcoming figure of the UK folk scene in such intimate surroundings.

(tickets – sold out)

Linnea Olsson, Rescue Rooms (9th March)

Swedish musician Linnea Olsson comes to Rescue Rooms on the back of her critically acclaimed debut album Ah!. She has previously been a backing vocalist and cellist for Peter Gabriel, but is now embarking on her biggest solo UK tour to date. The gig shall consist of just Olsson and a cello, but between them, they will create a beautiful and spellbinding sound.

(tickets)

Foals, Rock City (12th March) 

Fresh from the release of the critically-acclaimed Holy Fire, Foals embark on a sold-out UK tour culminating in what is sure to be an incredible show at the Royal Albert Hall. Before that, they hit Rock City and if it’s anything like the run of small dates they did late last year, it will be loud, emotive, and utterly enthralling.

(tickets – sold out)

Willy Mason, Rescue Rooms (13th March)

Hungry Hippos and flapping Flamingos will not be at Rescue Rooms on 13th March, but something almost as extraordinary will be – Willy Mason: the modern day icon of Folk. Expect a gig that will shake the foundations of your mental stability and the very concept of music to be redefined.

(tickets)

The Internet + Kilo Kish, Bodega (14th March) 

Two hugely promising new acts from across the pond are uniting to bless us with their presence on a joint headline tour of the UK. The Internet, a trip-hop duo hailing from Los Angeles and led by Odd Future-affiliates Syd Tha Kid and Matt Martians, have built a steady momentum following the 2011 release of their smooth debut record Purple Naked Ladies. They are joined on this tour by oft- collaborator and darling of the blogosphere Kilo Kish. The Floridian singer/songwriter, who can melt the coldest of hearts with her mellifluous vocals, recently released her superb mixtape K+ as a free download.

(tickets)

The Strypes, Bodega (15th March)

Recreating the sound of an early 1960’s Rolling Stones come these four young men from Cavan. Their show at Bodega sold out before many knew who they were and created waves of hype within many a music publication. The Strypes are flying and at such a young age, who knows how we’ll look back at this small show in years to come?

(tickets – sold out)

The Stranglers, Rock City (19th March) 

Punk pioneers, The Stranglers, visit Rock City for what could well be the last time with the current line-up. Throughout the band’s long history, they have combined their punk roots with LA-style keyboards and basslines, creating their own spot in the punk scene around them. Expect ‘Golden Brown’-tinged nostalgia. One not to be missed.

(tickets)

Bastille, Rock City (21st March)

To mark the release of their debut album, Bad Blood, Bastille bring their energetic live show to Nottingham’s Rock City, after being moved from Rescue Rooms due to extraordinary demand. From one man band to flawless frontman, Dan Smith and co have collected a huge underground following, which has seen them heralded as many publications’ band to watch this year.

(tickets – sold out)

Bouncing Souls, Rock City (22nd March)

Starting out in 1987, The Bouncing Souls are now renowned as one of the most fun live bands from the New Jersey punk scene. Their reputation largely comes from their music reigniting ‘pogo-punk’ backed up by fast light-hearted songs. Expect lots of shouting and jumping around.

(tickets)

Inspiral Carpets, Rescue Rooms (24th March) 

Manchester’s Inspiral Carpets were one of the key members of the city’s famous Madchester scene. Their melodic keyboard riffs were the foundations of several indie disco classics, such as ‘This Is How It Feels’ and ‘Saturn 5’. With a line-up that is very similar to that of the band’s pomp, it might as well be Manchester 1989 all over again.

(tickets)

Eels, Rock City (27th March)

Eels – the project of the inimitable ‘E’ (Mark Everett) – placed their melancholy signature on the indie-scene nearly twenty years ago. Their blues and accompanying dark humour have become something of a signature for the West coast act. Eels’ new album ‘Wonderful, Glorious’ promises to boost an already enviable live setlist to continue a truly impressive run of form.

(tickets)

Kodaline, Rescue Rooms (28th March)

Their name might sound like something from the front of a cheap plastic disposable camera, but it’s their introspective yet soaring rock which has persuaded critics that Kodaline are one to focus in on this year. Nominated for the BBC’s Sound of 2013, the quartet from Dublin will take to the Rescue Rooms stage on March 28th three days after releasing their debut album, In a Perfect World.

(tickets)

Squarepusher, Rescue Rooms (29th March)

IDM auteur Tom Jenkinson a.k.a. Squarepusher is famed for his bass driven fusion of electronic, jazz and ambient music. The Warp legend is renowned for some of the most forward thinking music to be released in the past 20 years. Ranging from cerebral masterpiece Hard Normal Daddy to the sublime Ultravisitor to last year’s invigorating Ufabulum, Squarepusher is an artist defined by his ambition as a musician.

(tickets)

Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, Rock City (29th March)

Hailing from sunny San Francisco and in their fifteenth year together, Black Rebel Motorcycle Club bring their fifth studio album Specter At The Feast to Rock City. Supported by The Big Pink, the Californian rockers bring well known hits such as ‘Spread Your Love’ and ‘Done All Wrong’ across the Atlantic for the first time since 2010.

(tickets)

Hailey Mawhinney, Will Hazell, Dan Jones, Liam Coleman, Ben James, Jonnie Barnett, Elliot Ruby, Sam Moore, Adam Keyworth, Alex Neely, Ian Fillingham, Jeremy Dobson & Robert Smith

Review - Song for Marion

Review - To The Wonder