Ellie McWilliam has been elected as our new SU president. She will be the first female president the University has had in 15 years.

9,266 people turned out to vote for the President. With 2,455 votes, Ellie won by a close margin of 30. Will Clempner came second place at 2,425 votes.

Amos Teshuva, current SU President, said Ellie is an “amazing woman… she’s a great person and she’s going to go far.”

Ellie told Impact that she was “ecstatic and shocked… I didn’t think I’d win!”

She wants prioritise the ‘more for your money policies’ for example smaller tutor groups and increased printer credit.

She said that “campaigning was tough – I did it through the snow and rain but it was worth it.”

She said that her campaign team “helped her through everything. When I felt I wasn’t doing enough, they would tell me to do more.”

She added that she was “proud to be at the helm of one of the largest and most active unions in the country.”

Both Presidential candidates who are already incumbent members of the Exec had been eliminated by the sixth round of voting. Anil Parmar was eliminated in the fifth round of voting with 1,178 votes. Luke Mitchell was eliminated in the sixth round with 1,520 votes.

Luke told Impact that “competition has been harder than ever” but that “ it was an absolute pleasure to run in this election.” He said that “Ellie is a fantastic candidate… I am disappointed with the result but an excellent candidate has won.”

Anil said that he was “a bit disappointed, but ecstatic for Ellie… she did a really good job in trying to reach out and talk to everyone and not focus on the support of smaller sections.”

Losing candidate Tom van Wesseldine said of Ellie that she “wanted it for a long time and was really determined. She was the first one out and the last to leave during campaigning, and she’s going to do a fantastic job.”

Tom told us that this evening he was “probably getting started on that dissertation.” He was eliminated in the fourth round with 1035 votes.

Johnny Lawrence and the Dark Knight both were eliminated by the third round. In round two the Dark Knight got 840 votes and was eliminated. Johnny Lawrence was eliminated by the second round with 908 votes.

Johnny told Impact that “Shehroze should have won – I genuinely thought he had it in the bag. I have no idea [if she’ll be a good President], she’s pretty nice, her policies seemed pretty vague but then, everyone’s were.”

Shehroze made it to the penultimate round, with 1,733 votes. He told Impact that he “learnt so much from all the campaigning, win or lose. It had been an incredible experience.”

Ellie told Impact that she was off to Ocean to celebrate her victory.

EQUAL OPPORTUNITIES AND WELFARE OFFICER ANNOUNCED

SU Elections 2013: The Results

1. Anon

Ellie is a worthy winner!
    But I have to admit I’m gutted for Shehroze 🙁 He worked so hard, and did pretty well to make it to 3rd!

2. Anon

Questionable AV voting system..

3. ANONYMOUS

Shehroze and his beard :O nom

4. Becky

Johnny Lawrence speaks the truth, Shehroze would have been amazing and so fresh for the SU! Johnny, please please consider being the next David Mitchell 😀

5. Shabina Raja

It was a brilliant campaign from Shehroze, glad Ellie got his second preferences though!

6. Phil Whitehead

The last time Nottingham University had a female president, they were still making episodes of Babylon 5.