From the Editors’ Desk

I dread walking to Hallward at the moment.  It is not necessarily the prospect of spending the morning cloistered like a solitary monk up in the silent section – the only place now where I can work for more than five minutes at a time without getting distracted – though that is a factor.  No, it’s the sheer amounts of bright t-shirt wearing, sweet touting, slogan shouting, banner waving campaign teams that I cannot bring myself to face.

I understand that SU elections are important.  The Exec deals with a huge amount of our money and ensures that student have an excellent variety of groups and clubs for students to better themselves through. They provide welfare and housing support and representation for a student voice at our University.  Great as all it is, I always look towards the fortnight of campaigning each year with a mixture of fear and repulsion.  Someday, I mutter to myself as I glare at the ground to avoid making eye contact with yet another bunch of overly-perky campaigners at nine in the morning, I’m going to take some of those sweets and shove it right up their…

It would be fine, if it were a deliberate ploy to interest people in candidates’ policies.  Instead, most candidates campaigning around the University seem to want to bribe you with lollipops rather than tell you what they want to do.  I’m twenty-four, not twelve.  I don’t want your Haribo. And I’m certainly not going to vote for you because you’re blocking my way to the library.

I suppose it’s necessary for candidates to get themselves out and visible to an apathetic student audience, who often has little interest in which people influence what their student fees go on.  But for those of us who read the manifestoes, went to the question times and genuinely want to vote for the best students to represent us, it can be a bit tiring.  Maybe next time when you shout in my face in Portland, tell me about your policies instead of some lame slogan.  Then I might actually vote for you.

Ben McCabe

Don’t Cross The Streams

“So here I am. Hello.” Impact meets… Gallery 47

1. Sammy B

“Anyone want some of Sammy B’s DemocraTEA*?”

*or coffee/sweets

Though to be fair, I told people about my policies whilst making the tea 🙂

2. LOLs

Why are you still at uni if you’re 24?

3. D Jones

I stick with the policy of:
    ‘If you disturb me at dinner, I will not vote for you’.

4. Anon

I personally would rather vote for candidates who made themselves “seen” by being outside Hallward and stuff. The trick is not being too pushy (and paying enough attention to the policies – no amount of sweets is going to make me vote for someone with a bad manifesto).

5. Tara

Lucy Wake exchanged cake for twenty seconds of time to listen to her policies. A grand idea!

6. March 14, 2013 at 00:35 — Reply

“LOLs”, not everyone at university is an undergraduate, not everyone starts their degree at 18, and not everyone’s degree is only 3 or 4 years long. Some of us are postgraduates, or start degrees later (“mature students”, officially), or, like architects or medics, have 7 year degrees.