On Thursday evening, Kate Tempest’s Wasted, a Paines Plough production, will be performed at The Nottingham New Theatre as a one off event.

The award-winning, nationally and internationally acclaimed theatre company, Paines Plough, specialise in creating and producing new plays and have been deemed ‘the lifeblood of the UK’s theatre ecosystem’ by The Guardian.

Kate Tempest is a rapper and poet from South East London; Wasted is her debut play. It is the story of how the lives of three close friends change in a single day, told through the Tempest’s skilled use of language. Set against a background of the raves and cafes of South London, the performance is accompanied by an exhilarating score. ‘A play about life, love and losing your mind’ and ‘an unmissable experience’, (whatsonstage.com).

The welcoming of outside performances is a new development at The Nottingham New Theatre (NTT) and so Impact asked President Sam Hayward to explain more both about this new direction and the play itself.

1. When, and how, did you first hear of Kate Tempest and Paines Plough theatre company?

Their artistic director met our then President of the NNT a couple of years ago at the National Student Drama Festival. Here they first discussed the idea of bringing one of their shows to us at the NNT – and we’ve now finally managed to bring that idea to reality. Kate Tempest is a poet and rapper from South East London, who i’ve been lucky enough to see live a couple of times. As well as writing and performing beat poetry as a solo artist, she also fronts the hip hop inspired live three piece Sound of Rum.

2. Have you seen any of their previous work?

Nothing of Paines Plough directly but I have seen Kate Tempest perform live. She was excellent.

3. What has the process of securing this exciting performance entailed?

After their initial introduction to the NNT a couple of years ago, Paines Plough contacted us directly with the proposal for Wasted. They are very keen to begin touring their work to Universities, alongside professional theatres throughout the country – and wanted to begin here at the NNT due to our reputation as one of the strongest University theatres in the country.

4. This is something different for the Nottingham New Theatre. What does this event this say about the NNT? Is this something you are looking to continue in the future?

This year for the NNT has been all about increasing our professionalism as a theatre company and venue, and becoming recognised as a key arts venue within Nottingham – for members of the general public as well as students. A key part of this goal was to start bringing professional theatre companies in to perform at the NNT, providing students with the opportunity to see some of the best touring theatre of the moment. Wasted is the biggest event of this kind that we have done so far, and we certainly hope to continue bringing in more companies in the coming years.

5. In your opinion, why should people come and see this performance?

Wasted opened last year to rave reviews, a sell-out London run and a 42 date national tour. After this huge success, they are touring the production once more and now is your chance to see what all the fuss is about – right here on your campus! Paines Plough are a world renowned theatre company, producing the debut productions of some of today’s most respected playwrights and winning several awards along the way – most recently at the Off West End Theatre awards. Wasted will be a display of exceptional acting and writing talent, from one of the hottest new playwrights of the moment. It’s a real privilege to be visited by this production and it would be a real shame to miss out.

Lauren Wilson

Wasted will be performed at The Nottingham New Theatre, on Thursday 7th March at 9.45pm. For ticket information go to:   https://www.facebook.com/events/157028711118343/?fref=ts

We want 10,000 votes: Amos’ Ambition for SU Elections

Stags and Hens @ The Nottingham New Theatre