The SU aims to hit a target of 10,000 votes in this year’s Student Leader elections.

Voter turnout last year was the lowest since 2005, with only 5,610 students voting across the election. This came as a surprise after the record breaking figure of 7,756 voters in 2011.

But voter numbers have risen again this year, with the NUS delegate elections at the University having the highest voter turnout across the country.

James Potts, chair of Elections Committee said 10,000 votes in the SU elections is an “achievable goal”. He told Impact that “the fact that no one has done it before makes us more determined to hit that target”.

SU President, Amos Teshuva, agrees that this is an attainable figure. He said: “It all depends on how many people care what we think and about what we do.”

“This year we’ve got really specific plans. We’re mapping out all the schools and courses that didn’t vote high last year, and we’re going to tell campaigners where to go so it’s not all stuck outside Hallward all day.”

“Also, as there are less rules this year it encourages creativity. From now, we’re encouraging people to talk to leaders of groups about building a manifesto, and leaders should already be asking the members they represent what things they want. So hopefully we already have people engaged in the elections process.”

Antonia Paget

Should the University Have a Policy on Abortion?

The Nottingham New Theatre get 'Wasted'

1. March 6, 2013 at 21:18 — Reply

“Amos’s”. Please, you’re a respected organ!

Anyway, go 10k!

2. Robert Moher

Instead of increasing the number of voters, why don’t we try to teach existing voters that being a Week One rep, playing for a football team and selling tickets for Crisis aren’t sufficient criteria for presiding over a university of 30,000 students.

Surely these would only be sufficient criteria if the SU had absolutely no power or influence over anything.

Sigh.

3. March 10, 2013 at 20:04 — Reply

@Robert Moher – So leadership, teamwork, confidence, independent working, initiative, developing own skills, and dealing with new situations and problem solving aren’t relevant skills for students’ union officers?

I’ll grant that in the same way candidates for jobs often don’t relate their experience to the skills they’ve developed, elections candidates sometimes don’t do the same, but with word limits on manifestos (entirely sensible), it’s a little hard to convey!

Officers preside over the SU as opposed to the University as well.

Really though, what makes these roles different to being say a Society Treasurer, Course Rep, or SVC volunteer?