The Wheel of Sportune is angry. It was made to sit through two and a half hours of Sunday Brunch only to be rewarded with the World Cross Country Championships on BBC2. Luckily for us though, the Wheel was able to forget Tim Lovejoy’s ‘banter’, regain its composure, and cast its eye over a weekend of sport admittedly decimated by the international football break and the end of the Six Nations.

Good Weekend

Tiger Woods – First things first, Tiger is not ‘back’, whatever that even means. If it means ‘back to his best’, then no, he isn’t. From August 1999 to February 2000, Woods won six of his seven starts. The first of them triggered a run through to May 2005 – yes, close to six years – where he wouldn’t miss a single cut. In that time he won 36 titles.

However, after victory at a rain-affected Bay Hill, Tiger is now the number one ranked golfer in the world again. He has won three out of the five tournaments he has entered this year, and he looks in ominous form with the Masters three weeks away.

Sergio Garcia’s tree shot is also well worth a watch below.

Accrington Stanley Fans – 28 die-hard Accrington Stanley supporters braved the conditions to make the 270-mile trip to Gillingham for their game at the weekend, and were rewarded with a dour 1-0 loss. However, their day was significantly improved with a “lovely gesture” from Gills chairman Paul Scally who provided the freezing fans with a free pie, according to the BBC. The story, however, takes a sinister twist as the Sky Sports report on the subject claims that burgers and chips were provided (and that’s before we even think about horsemeat). Will the truth ever out?

pukka pies

Brendon McCullum – With England staring a series defeat to New Zealand in the face, substantial credit must go to captain McCullum and coach Mike Hesson. Taking a side dogged by rumours of in-fighting and ill-discipline, McCullum has taken the fight to England with aggressive field-placing and typically explosive batting. The second test aside, the Kiwis have dominated a sub-par England side and questions will surely be asked of Alistair Cook on his return.

Bad Weekend

Costa Rica Football Team – And you thought the snow was bad here. The World Cup qualifier between Costa Rica and the U.S.A, played on Friday in Colorado, took place in a genuine snowstorm in which the pitch markings and ball could barely be seen. The U.S.A’s white kit didn’t help matters either. Somehow the ref allowed the game to be played and the U.S ran out 1-0 victors, to the frustration of the Costa Rican F.A, who have today launched an official protest to FIFA.

You can see Clint Dempsey’s winner below, helpfully aided by YouTube user ‘Kingdome1979’ adding an effect that makes the ball look like it’s on fire. The wonders of technology.

Rio Ferdinand & Roy Hodgson – Both equally culpable for a huge amount of negative press that has dragged on for over a week. The 8-0 mercy-killing of San Marino failed to extinguish the flames of a wholly unnecessary story for the English football team. Ferdinand let the media champion his cause for selection, then took four days to decide that pre-planned back treatment would leave him unable to play – although a trip to Dubai for punditry was, naturally, not a problem. Hodgson should have phoned Ferdinand before announcing the squad to check that he would be fit to play.

Instead, Roy was made to look a fool and Rio was on the end from some unsavoury chants from the England fans in San Marino. You get the feeling that the only happy man to emerge from this is a certain red-faced septuagenarian in Manchester.

Mark Webber – Whilst team-mate Sebastian Vettel may be the one to come out of Sunday’s passing incident with immediate damage to his public profile, actually what it reinforced was something that Mark Webber feared –Vettel is a better Formula 1 driver than him. Webber can sulk and posture all he likes in the three weeks before the next Grand Prix in China, but the incident will be largely forgotten by most within a few months and the German will have the extra seven Championship points.

Neither driver is in the sport for fame or reputation, and one gets the feeling that what hurt Webber most was not the betrayal, but the loss.

The Wheel of Sportune will roll back into your lives again next week. Keep your eyes peeled…

Jonnie Barnett

Review - Babeldom

Album Review: The Men - New Moon