Coursework? What coursework? Here are all the gigs that you should check out in Nottingham this month, rather than write your dissertation. Be sure to check the Impact website for reviews after the gigs.

George The Poet + Support, Nottingham Contemporary (12th April)

North-West London’s George the Poet returns to Nottingham for a sit down gig at Nottingham Contemporary; George has promised a “very heartfelt and intimate performance”. George is supported by upcoming Nottingham artists Harleighblu and Ady Suleiman. Harleighblu is preparing to release her debut album through Tru Thoughts and will be testing some of the songs from her debut album in what she hopes is “a really beautiful intimate stripped down set”. Soul artist Ady Suleiman, meanwhile, is hoping to show people that he’s more than just the male Amy Winehouse; he told Impact “I’m just going to go up there and show people what I’ve got instead of pretending that I’m something I’m not”.

(tickets)

Hidden Orchestra, Nottingham Contemporary (19th April)

Edinburgh’s Hidden Orchestra are bringing their epic electronic jazz sounds to Nottingham Contemporary this month. The instrumental collective will be playing music from their latest album Archipelago, as well as tracks from their critically acclaimed debut LP Night Walks. Their sound is halfway between Radiohead’s Kid A and Miles Davis’s Bitches Brew and will no doubt provide a memorable gig.

(tickets)

Fun., Rock City (22nd April)

The last year has been phenomenal for Nate Ruess, Andrew Dost, and Jack Antonoff, who make up the indie trio Fun. They gained international acclaim when they won the Grammy Awards for Best New Artist and Song of the Year for ‘We Are Young’. It was the hit song of summer 2012, reaching No. 1 in the UK and their success has continued throughout this year with nominations at the MTV Video Awards. It is the bands first headline tour in the UK and it has already sold out throughout the country. The set will include their newer releases such as ‘Some Nights’ and ‘Carry On’. It is not a gig to be missed because these guys seem to have the ability to enthrall an audience anywhere they go.

(tickets – sold out)

Public Enemy, Rock City (23rd April)

The legends that are Public Enemy are coming to Nottingham to grace the Rock City stage. The politically fuelled group that formed way back in 1982 were classed in the group of the Immortals by Rolling Stone in 2004. With hits including ‘Fight The Power’  and ‘Greatest Misses’, be prepared to hit a nostalgia trip in hip hop from a band that can only be called iconic.

(tickets)

Rudimental, Rescue Rooms (25th April)

Rudimental exploded in to the music scene after their smash hit ‘Feel The Love’ triumphantly hit number one and provided the soundtrack for the summer of 2012. They followed this up with ‘Not Giving In’, which was accompanied by an inspirational video based around the loss of a friend. Expect excitement, expect a buzz and expect a lot of the ‘Rudimental Skank’ when they hit Rescue Rooms.

(tickets – sold out)

Crashdiet, Rock City (26th April)

Bringing the sound of the 80s right into the 21st Century, Swedish glam metallers Crashdiet hit Rock City on the back of their fourth album, The Savage Playground. Also worth checking out are support act Jettblack, one of the best hard rock bands to come out of Britain in recent years. Come with air guitars firmly at the ready.

(tickets)

Darwin Deez, Rock City (27th April)

New Yorker Darwin Deez will be hitting Nottingham’s Rock City on the 27th, bringing his 4-string electric and danceable indie-pop anthems. Touring his latest album Songs for Imaginative People, Darwin Deez promises an eclectic mix with his gigs, full of punk riffs, 80’s soul and his signature dance skits.

(tickets)

CHVRCHES, Rescue Rooms (30th April) 

They may consist of ex-members of Scottish indie groups Aereogramme and The Twilight Sa,d but you’ll do well to find a distorted guitar here – CHVRCHES are all sparkling synths and programmed drums. Vocalist Lauren Mayberry adds a vulnerability, which has drawn comparisons to The Knife and Robyn. Frenzied touring over recent months should mean they are on top form when they reach Nottingham.

(tickets)

Liam Coleman, Dan Jones, Will Gulseven, Kamiah Overaa & Jonnie Barnett

Review - Labyrinth

The Socumentaries – Fashion Soc