The Wheel of Sportune is back to look over another weekend packed with sporting incident. Where will the fickle arrow of fate land today?

Good Weekend

Peter Stringer – Not for getting spat at, obviously. But for a dignified reaction to the most heinous of sporting crimes. Stringer has long been regarded as a true gentleman of the game and the restraint needed not to punch Stade Français scrum-half Jérôme Fillol is further evidence of this. The incident has also sparked one of the first recorded instances of an interesting debate in the YouTube comments section, where a debate about whether Stringer should have gone running to the referee is currently occurring.

Ryan Mania – After tests confirmed that injuries suffered after a fall at Hexham on Sunday were only ‘minor’, the weekend can most definitely be summarised as ‘good’ for the 23-year old jockey from Galashiels. For Ryan Mania won the Grand National on Saturday, the dream of every young jockey, and he did it on the 66-1 outsider Auroras Encore. It completed a turnaround in fortunes for the young jockey, who took six months out from the sport in 2011 after becoming disillusioned. His homecoming party planned for Tuesday evening will be one to savour.

Phil Jones – Despite doing his best impressions of Muppet character Beaker, Jones was unable to stop Manchester City from defeating their Mancunian counterparts on Monday. In a somewhat lacklustre display by United’s high standards, Jones was an all-action presence at centre-half, throwing himself at shots and making several important tackles. A future England stalwart, surely.

beakerphil jones

Bad Weekend

Craig Gardner – Gardner will miss Sunderland’s important Tyne-Wear derby against Newcastle on Sunday after being shown his tenth yellow card of the season against Chelsea. But Gardner is not very happy. He accused the victim of the tackle, Demba Ba, of play-acting, saying “’It was a fair tackle. He’s just rolled around and forced the booking”. Take a look at the tackle in these highlights and see quite how wrong Craig is.

Harlequins RFC – After Saracens progressed with customary efficiency to the Heineken Cup semis on Saturday, hopes were high for both Quins and Leicester to join them when they played on Sunday. Whilst Leicester can walk away from a 21-15 defeat in Toulon with pride intact, Quins will be desperately disappointed with a sub-par showing in their 12-18 defeat at home to Munster. Granted, the Irish province are a European powerhouse with a fine pedigree, but this is not a vintage Munster side by any means and Conor O’Shea will be ruing his inability to recover his side’s early season form .

You can see a selection of Munster centre James Downey’s huge hits on Harlequins players below.

John Mooney – What do you mean, you’ve never heard of him? The 2010 Irish Cricketer of the Year? Well shame on you. Well, actually, shame on John Mooney, who took to Twitter in the aftermath of the death of Margaret Thatcher to state his hope that her death had been ‘slow and painful’. Mooney has since apologised but disciplinary action may still be taken.

ay_107543227

Jonnie Barnett

Live Review: Music Week Breakout, Camden Barfly (27/3/13)

Album Review: Kurt Vile - 'Wakin On A Pretty Daze'