The Amazing Snakeheads are set to become the next big thing in British music. Yes, that is a title that the music press use all too often, but for once, we have a band more than worthy of the name.

The Amazing Snakeheads are a Glaswegian rock n roll band. That’s all you’re getting in terms of background information, because I don’t know an awful amount about them. I’ve let their music do the talking, and you should too. Because it’s bloody brilliant.

As a 90s kid, I often look back wistfully at music scenes gone by, mentally hating my parents for not bringing me into this world sooner. However, Snakeheads make me want to believe that this is what it was like when rock n roll arrived in Britain, or when The Sex Pistols played those Manchester gigs in 1976.

They play a thrillingly updated form of bass-driven rock n roll, inspired equally by Chuck Berry as they are The Fall, and reportedly play one of the best live shows you’ll see on the circuit (I hope to confirm those rumours after seeing them play The Victoria in Dalston on 23rd July).

24th June will see their debut single (‘Testifying Time’ / ‘The Truth Serum’) released via Domino Records. ‘Testifying Time’ is straight-up timeless rock n roll, impossible to keep still to, while ‘The Truth Serum’ is the most terrifying song of the year so far, driven along by post-punk basslines and growling vocals.

In terms of Nottingham gigs, they will support The Jim Jones Revue at Rescue Rooms on 15th October. Don’t miss it.

File Next To: Sex Pistols, Ramones, Swell Maps

Check them out here:

Facebook | Twitter

Alex Neely

Live Review: Bonobo, Rock City (20/05/13)

Album Review: Ghostpoet - 'Some Say I So I Say Light'

1. Billy
    June 25, 2013 at 09:54 — Reply

Caught these guys at the Great Escape in Brighton – they absolutely blew me away. Great to see a band not in bloody dicky bow ties being too nice! R’n’R!