skints-r.r.

The Skints brought their chilled summer vibes to Nottingham’s Rescue Rooms last month as part of their biggest headline tour to date.

Having been instantly hooked after first stumbling across the heavy guitar-reggae of The Skints late on the Friday evening of the 2010 Reading Festival, it has been enjoyable watching the band develop. They now have two albums under their belt, and this year promises to be their best so far.

Three of The Skints’ four members are provided with microphones, with only bassist Jonathan remaining silent. His cool demeanour, however, ensures that he does not appear excluded. The three with mics: the dreadlocked multi-instrumentalist Marcia, guitarist Joshua and drummer Jamie all take it in turns to both sing and rap, providing the crowd with some outstanding vocal harmonies.

The only disappoinment of an otherwise flawless gig is the absence of Parly B, with whom The Skints collaborated on the last album. Opening with ‘Rise Up’, the reggae-influenced beats ensure that Rescue Rooms is certainly bouncing. ‘Out My Mind’ is a thrilling example of The Skints’ excellent songwriting skills, as is crowd favourite, and final song, ‘Culture Vulture’. However, the highlight of the set is arguably their cover of Katy B‘s ‘Katy On A Mission’, the YouTube video of which has received over 300,000 views, a popularity that The Skints can’t have been expecting.

With two new songs performed at Rescue Rooms, the second of which was very heavily soul-influenced, The Skints’ next recorded efforts could well be amongst their best so far. Either way, their live shows remain as exciting as that Friday night in Reading Festival’s Lock-Up Stage, and long may that continue.

Aaron Watts

The Round Up - Summer Festivals

Review - World War Z