With superhero films more popular than ever, it has reignited our childhood love of superheroes. What person has not longed for a superpower, whether it is the ability to fly, teleport, move things with our minds or be strong enough to lift up a building. Life with superpowers would be so much more exciting. But could superpowers be possible?

Stopping Time
Whether you’re running late or realised you need more time to revise the night before an exam, most of us have longed for the ability to pause time. But could it ever be possible? Quite simply no. To do so you would have to travel faster than the speed of light which would be impossible for humans. In reality this would be a useless superpower as without time nothing can function, this includes your thoughts, so you wouldn’t even realise time had stopped.

Telekinesis

Ever had that feeling where you want something, but have been too lazy to get up and just wished you could move it with your mind. A temporary tattoo is in development which can be placed on the forehead allowing you to move objects by reading brain activity. The tattoo is made up of a circuit which detects electrical signals from brain waves and allows it to communicate wirelessly with objects.
The tattoos could be inserted into the throat as when people think about talking their throat muscles still move, known as subvocalization. This could allow people that are unable to speak to communicate via electronic devices that recognise the speech.

A temporary tattoo is in development which can be placed on the forehead allowing you to move objects by reading brain activity

Super Strength
There are already cases of real life superheroes. Manjit Singh from India has super strength and is able to pull a double decker bus with his teeth, as well as pulling a double decker bus filled with 54 passengers using one hand over 180 feet! He is also able to move huge objects with his hair and ears.

Invisibility
Perhaps one of the most popular superpowers of choice is invisibility. To be invisible an object must allow light to pass through it without absorbing, reflecting it or changing it in any way. An artificial matter called metamaterials allows light to move around the object instead of through it. Light coming from behind could be bent around the object so we only see what is behind the object, thus making it invisible. It would make sneaking into lectures so much easier.

Jessica Hewitt-Dean

Robin Hood @ Nottingham New Theatre

Album Review: Iggy And The Stooges - Ready To Die