kodaline_in-a-perfect-world-packshot-1000

Kodaline are a serious new talent who are, in all likeliness, destined for greatness, but to put it bluntly, this Irish quartet needs to man up. These eleven tracks could quite easily be cut and pasted onto the end of X&Y without raising too many eyebrows. Perhaps, even, renaming themselves as ‘The Keane Coldplay Sons’ would almost be a progressive career move.

That’s not to say that this album is rubbish – it’s definitely not – it just tends to evoke the overriding sensation that this is another Louis Walsh boy band masquerading as an indie band. This is certainly a top notch indie band that will deceive many, and Louis Walsh would not deserve to put them to his name, but frontman Stephen Garrigan needs to leave his teenage years behind him and find some new inspiration for his lyrics, a field in which he obviously has plenty of potential.

To be fair to Kodaline, In A Perfect World has some real gems, such as ‘All I Want’ and ‘High Hopes’, both of which contain breathtaking instrumental breaks , as well as ‘Love Like This’, which follows the perhaps slightly stereotypical Irish melancholic folk sound, but which forbids you from surpressing a smile throughout, especially when Garrigan cheekily speaks ‘I don’t really mind at all’ in his thick Irish accent. Garrigan really does impress though (even if he tricks many into thinking he is related to Chris Martin), with his formidable falsetto and some wickedly catchy lyrics.

The album just seems to be drowning in its self-created pool of heartbreak and lost love with only a glimpse of escape in ‘Love Like This’. Of course, In A Perfect World will find a more than receptive audience, and be successful, but what’s really disappointing is that Kodaline should be striving for much more than they’ve achieved in this album. That being said, Kodaline have made a solid start and can hopefully impress further with their next album.

James Mason

…James has been listening to Muse – ‘House Of The Rising Sun’…

Star-Rating-3-1-21

Album Review: Beady Eye - 'BE'

Album Review: Smith Westerns – ‘Soft Will’