eagullsnerveendings

Leeds punks Eagulls played a special show with friends in their rehearsal space to celebrate the release of forthcoming single, ‘Nerve Endings’.

Making a name for themselves with their brand of dark punk, Eagulls used this as a celebration of everything Leeds. Taking place just outside the city centre, the gig attracted a range of music lovers, from friends of the band to those simply intrigued. And what a night it was, showcasing Leeds’ best new sounds in punk and post-punk.

On first was Kirky Artois, some kind of local in-joke, who played the same song for fifteen minutes; the traditional circus theme song set to a drum machine. This was followed by Dirds Bead, a Sheffield-based acoustic singer-songwriter, who impressed with his downbeat, heartfelt songwriting. Autobahn followed with their outrageously good post-punk, and are definitely a name to watch out for.

Perspex Flesh are essentially a hardcore-punk band, and their set received the first moshpit of the night. Rent Boys were the final support of the night, beginning the set by playing behind a line of black curtains, before revealing the faces behind their form of melancholic post-punk. Their impressive set was only cut short when the lead singer had his plastic lightbulb hat smashed and stormed off in a huff.

Finally, Eagulls took to the stage. After six hours of heavy drinking, it was no surprise to see that Eagulls weren’t quite as formidably tight as usual. But tonight wasn’t really about Eagulls’ music; everyone in attendance already knew how good Eagulls are – this was more a chance to celebrate their looming success and to check out some new bands. Eagulls are an irregularity in the current music scene, working day jobs and still creating incredible music. Being nice blokes as well, it’s impossible not to wish them every success.

Eagulls will play Nottingham’s Chameleon on 5th October. A chance to see an incredible band in an intimate venue. Don’t miss it.

Alex Neely

…Alex is listening to Yuck – Yuck

Impact Interviews InternsGoPro

Book Review: 'The Cuckoo's Calling' by Robert Galbraith (J.K. Rowling)