Diane Von Furstenberg is one of the hottest tickets in town, as proved when the show exploded with Naomi Campbell strutting her stuff as she closed the SS’14 collection. The set up of the catwalk itself ensured the clothes could be appreciated from all angles, as the models weaved themselves around the audience. This collection lacked some of the lustre and glitz that has been previously reported from fashion weeks, but it did not disappoint and highlighted a new direction for the label. Monochrome jumpsuits with geometric shaping portrayed a fun and flirty atmosphere onto the catwalk, with silky fabrics showing off the models slender physiques.

A jungle-inspired safari theme ran throughout the collection, paying tribute to African plaines and zebra print. This was particularly inspiring as it moved away from the traditional leopard print cliché, that is often associated with prints in fashion. Zebra prints appeared more symmetrical and spaced out, a delicate and light contrast to some of the  more striking pieces throughout the collection. The flowing silks of the dresses and jumpsuits were luxe and laid back, everything a summer evening should be and the exact attitude of DVF herself.diane-von-furstenberg-spring-summer-14-030_CA
In terms of striking colours and bold statements, the cobalt blue was a popular shade throughout the collection. Who wore it best? Jourdan Dunn. The safari theme was played out across skirts and dresses that resembled a chic reference to the Lion King which made it playful and relaxed. Halter neck crop tops with a split down the middle complimented the long flowing skirts and kept it classy. Minimal make – up and jewellery ensured the focus was on the detailed patterns and prints.

Shimmery textures and colours ensured a golden and relaxed feel towards key pieces in the collection. One outfit that epitomised a summer evening was a look given to Joan Small, short shorts and an opaque shirt created a glamourous yet relaxed feel that could be worn day or night. In terms of accessories, golden chains and bracelets were spotted on a few models but the basic feel was to keep it causal and minimal.

There were a few stand out outfits, in particular the wine blushed strapless dress modelled by Karlie Kloss and the show-stopping baroque mini that Naomi Campbell finished the show in. A light mulberry and grey strapless dress that had a rippled texture and pattern was a contrast to the cobalt blue and the LBD. Naomi looked effortless finishing in the black and gold mini that had a texture and pattern that was reminiscent of The Great Gatsby. Nevertheless an absolute treasure from DVF and it lived up to all of the labels expectations. Keeping it cool and casual, the label always lives up to it’s American go to girl nature and this season, Diane did not disappoint with her nod to 1970s luxe.

Jessie Roseblade

Images: vogue.com, guardian.co.uk

n00bs, AFKs and Mutes - The Problems with Online Gaming

Routine and chaos: Summer in revolutionary Cairo