So you’re here. It’s Freshers 2013. You’ve probably lost count of the amount of times you’ve been told this will be the best week/year of your life. Expectation is high. There’s a lot to decide this week, newbies. It’s time for the debut of the person you’ve decided to become.

While being discerning about your surroundings is necessary when coming into a completely new life, there are still some do’s and don’ts. What is OK to judge people on and what’s not?

To me, it’s a simple line: form opinions on people for all the things they’ve done to create an impression. By all means bitch away about that bad outfit you saw someone fashioning, or a stupid comment made by the person three doors down. But those inherited traits we all have don’t mean squat about who we are.

One of the biggest and newest things I came into contact with at Nottingham University was the constant undertone of casual sexism, especially at the climax of the fresher’s shag-fest. You’ll probably notice different attitudes to sex, dependent on which gender is picking up the action.

Which leads us neatly onto the judgmental faux pas I want to draw special attention to: slut-shaming is a big no-no.

As a lady, you are equally as entitled to fuck every fresher in Crisis on the same night as you are cuddling up to a takeaway with your panties untouched.

I hate to shatter the illusion people, but a “slut” is an urban myth. There is just no such thing. We live in the 21st century, our sexuality is our own to do with what we like. No one should be making judgments about you based on your fanny-fun. Whether this manifests itself in gossip about some “slag” or “this chick’s such a lad” it’s still not OK. Being in control of your body is not a gender related trait. It’s just human.

So with that in mind, go out, stay in or just do whatever you fancy this week, judge people fairly and don’t stand for the sexist bullshit coming your way. This time is for you, go have fun!

Jo Estrin (@jo_estrin)

Follow Impact Comment on Facebook and Twitter

Photo: Jay Morrison (Flickr)

Pornographic Images of Women Welcome Freshers on 'Official' Lincoln Hall Twitter Account

Review - In a World...

1. September 19, 2013 at 22:55 — Reply

whats your number hotty?

2. September 20, 2013 at 18:04 — Reply

End of the day, people have the right regardless of gender to have sexual relations with anyone they want and with as many as they want (within reason of course, haha). Then again, I think sometimes people say things as a result of peer pressure/societal pressure rather than what they actually think themselves; it’s easy to make comments in a group just to fit in with what everyone is doing. You have to look past the mask some people throw up to find what they actually believe. Doesn’t excuse that behaviour, mind.

3. Jacky D
    September 21, 2013 at 18:33 — Reply

I’m not sexist when I judge people. I show equal disdain toward male and female whores. Let’s get some self-respect and stop treating each other as sexual objects for use and disposal 🙂

4. Anonymous
    September 24, 2013 at 18:57 — Reply

Great post. The generations of the past have paved the way for women to do what they like with their own bodies and considering that we’re meant to be the smart, modern leaders of the future that old sexism is way too common

5. Aisha
    September 24, 2013 at 18:58 — Reply