Gary Numan is renowned for his crazy bursts of electro-industrial-pop shown in his biggest hits ‘Cars’ and ‘Are Friends Electric?’, yet it’s safe to say Splinter reverts entirely from Numan’s norm.

Splinter is an unexpected twist: electro-metal with more bursts of uncontrollable upset than pop. The single ‘Love Hurt Bleed’ hinted at an experimental album that could work for Numan, until this hope was dashed upon listening to ‘I Am Dust’, the second single to be taken from Splinter, which entirely mimicks the “I’m an angry teenager” feel seen consistently throughout the album.

After a few more listens. I felt like happiness was “so totally mainstream”. Of course, after Numan’s battle with depression during the seven years it took him to produce Splinter, it’s no shock that it’s quite possibly going to be the darkest electronica you will have ever heard, aside NIN and Depeche Mode, who still know how to be happy once in a while.

Let’s just say, next time I have a bad day I’ll CONSIDER giving it another listen, so If you are really into your bad days, thick guy-liner and drawing stars in biro on the tip of your converses, this is definitely the album for you.

Natalia Rnic

…Natalia is listening to Arctic Monkeys – ‘R U Mine?’…

Follow Impact Music on Facebook and Twitter

The Marc Jacobs Effect

From the Mouth of Madness #2: Tales of Terror

1. Mike
    October 19, 2013 at 04:52 — Reply

Don’t know what to make of this review. But a poor one, that’s for sure.
    Everyone’s entitled to their own opinion, but this review is just crap. It reminds me of a school child trying to bluff their way through a book report. Too busy trying to be cool with their words and forgetting to add detail to the review- or in fact any substance whatsoever. By all means like or dislike an album- that’s what reviews are- one persons opinion. But drop the cool street cred talk and actually review properly, and give an album a DECENT listen, not just one flick with preconceived ideas.
    Stick to your Artic Monkeys, Natalia! 😉

• clynton
      October 20, 2013 at 04:36 — Reply

reading the review while listening to the track… Everything comes down to this…

yep ‘no one is listening…… ‘ lol

its a great album !

2. Ally
    October 20, 2013 at 02:28 — Reply

This is a fine review. What you on about Mike? You sound like another Numan diehard babbling rubbish. For the record Natalia gives her honest impressions of the album. That’s all that’s required. Why don’t you stick to not telling folk what to do? By the way Artic Monkey’s rock. Unlike this diseased rabble of an album.

• Ben nurdin
      July 24, 2014 at 23:49 — Reply

Arctic monkeys are so fucking lame. What are you studying? How to masturbate for the rest of your lonely life?

3. Ben nurdin
    July 24, 2014 at 23:47 — Reply

An absurd review but hardly surprising as written by a student who wasn’t even born when decent influential artists were around. No understanding of numan at all, this album was influenced considerably by personal issues. By this I don’t mean having more acne, no cash for you’re socialist worker magazine and wondering why you haven’t yet had sex. Go and endulge yourself to the type of crap designed for students like kasabian or other shit.

• July 29, 2014 at 22:16 — Reply

While I don’t agree with the reviewer’s stance on the album nor their approach, your already thin argument and ‘scorched earth’ view of modern music – as implied in the claim there’s not a single “decent [such a subjective term can’t be employed as if objectively] influential artist” who has worked in the last two decades – are somewhat undermined by your dismissive generalisations and ad hominem attacks.