Upcoming indie quartet, Circa Waves, show a half-full Chameleon who 2014’s indie teen heartthrobs are going to be.

Formed in Liverpool around half a year ago, Circa Waves have done surprisingly well for themselves, announcing plans for their debut double a-side to be released at the beginning of December and embarking on a mini UK tour. Arriving at the ever-eccentric Chameleon, they have BBC Radio 1’s Jen Long in tow; a woman with considerable influence in shaping contemporary music tastes.

First up are Nottingham shoegazers, Wanderlings. Their set begins well, all jangly Byrds riffs and Mani basslines, showing plenty of potential. However, the songs’ repetitive structures and indistinctive guitar lines mean that the songs soon begin to drag. There’s nothing inherently ‘wrong’ about Wanderlings, and they have every chance of hitting the heights of fellow Nottingham shoegazers Childhood, they’re just not quite as pioneering as others in their genre. Whether they can ever be as pioneering is an important question and one I’d hesitantly answer with a ‘no’.

Circa Waves will feature exclusively as a band that help to shape the music tastes of those just discovering music.

Circa Waves soon take to the stage. Four young men with neat haircuts and guitars; all the ingredients to displace Swim Deep or Palma Violets as the objects of lust for 16-year-old girls across the country, who focus on the way the lead singer’s fringe flicks from side to side rather than his inability to write a song. Take us back eight years or so, when The Rifles, Pigeon Detectives and Little Man Tate were running the indie streets, and Circa Waves might have fit right in. Fortunately, those barren times are long gone and Circa Waves will, instead, feature exclusively as a band that help to shape the music tastes of those just discovering music; an important role, nonetheless.

Twenty minutes and eight identical-sounding songs later and it was all over.

Having been told that it was £7.50 on the door, I expected Circa Waves to treat us to a lengthy set. They didn’t. Twenty minutes and eight identical-sounding songs later and it was all over. Circa Waves will, undoubtedly, do well for themselves. Expect weekly NME name-drops and edgy teen mentions on Twitter galore. Do not, however, expect a seminal album.

Alex Neely

…Alex is listening to Lou Reed – ‘Vicious’…

Follow Impact Music on Twitter and Facebook

Impact talks to…Paul Scotting

UK Universities Scrapping Language Degrees