Following the release of their third studio album, Old Souls, the six-piece Deaf Havana have embarked on a UK tour to showcase their new material and a few songs from their previous album, Fools and Worthless Liars, hinting that they really have left behind their post-hardcore days.

The band kicked off with ‘Boston Square’ off their new release, which got the crowd dancing before playing other crowd-pleasing classics including ‘Leeches’ and ‘Little White Lies’.

The band started out experimenting with covers and didn’t disappoint when they played their own take on The Cure’s ‘Friday I’m in Love’, changing things round to fit in with lead singer, James Veck Gilodi’s range and their sound.

Although the venue was not sold out, the band played every song with enthusiasm and the crowd showed their appreciation equally. They showed their modest side when James gave a small speech speaking about how grateful he was to everyone who had turned up and how surprised he is that people take the time to listen to them.

The only way for them is up.

The band rounded off their main set with old favourite ‘Hunstanton Pier’, referencing their hometown before going offstage. The crowd chanted for their return for a few minutes before they obliged and came back for a further three songs.

Overall, a very enjoyable gig from a band that has worked hard over the years and has started receiving some mainstream radio coverage. The only way for them is up.

Caroline Chan

Follow Impact Music on Twitter and Facebook.

Autumn Internationals Arrive With Questions Still To Answer For England

Album Review: AFI - 'Burials'

1. Melodie
    February 12, 2014 at 05:14 — Reply

Excited to see them! I live in New York and they’re playing at Mercury Lounge on the 13th. It’s gonna be awesome.