Moving from a very much experimental math-rock inspired first album into a sleeker, more polished product in the second, you could say that Everything Everything haven’t hit their stride yet; it could be said they’re still a young caterpillar going into chrysalis.

They move from the eclectic in ‘Cough Cough’ to the more reserved in ‘Choice Mountain’, not knowing where to sit. However, this is their ace card; by constantly evolving, they don’t grow stale but instead offer new approaches to the sound they are putting together. So with that, when they came onto the stage for the first time, Rock City certainly lived up to its name; they rocked like a dinghy on rough waters all night long.

Rock City certainly lived up to its name; they rocked like a dinghy on rough waters all night long.

The support bands for the show, who not many people seem to have heard of despite Dutch Uncles being the support band for Paramore on their European tour not too long ago, performed impeccably, albeit with a minor hitch involving a MIDI xylophone for Dutch Uncles’ set but nothing to ruin what was a very good show for both support bands.

EverythingSCL270810

Throughout the night, Everything Everything> oozed confidence; they could easily give bigger and more experienced bands a run for their money. The bassist especially is worthy of credit; to hear what can only be described as bloody lovely basslines is a rare treat that you don’t find in quite a lot of recent music.

To hear what can only be described as bloody lovely basslines is a rare treat that you don’t find in quite a lot of recent music.

The wide range of sounds that Everything Everything produced, from the angular guitars of ‘Suffragette Suffragette’ to the soaring strings in ‘Duet’, do a good job in summing up the night.

However, they seemed to be slow to get into top gear in the first few songs. However, they soon warmed up in time for their best-known songs, with a very powerful rendition of ‘The Peaks’, in particular, leaving the room stunned; proof that these guys are planning on sticking around on the scene for quite a while.

The crowd were slow to get into the dancing mood, only starting to get moving properly by about halfway through the set; it was hardly the band’s fault but it made the show a little bit static for the first half.

Everyone was expecting their (arguably) biggest hit as a closer with chants of “COUGH COUGH COUGH” echoing around the room but, once again defying expectations, they finished with a fantastic performance of ‘Radiant’, a relatively little-known song from Arc. This is exactly what Everything Everything seem to stand for in today’s music scene: an unexpected and welcome change from the same-old stuff.

Robert Priest

Follow Impact Music on Twitter and Facebook

GSK & UoN: Joined at the Hip?

Live Review: Bryan Ferry, Royal Concert Hall (28/10/2013)