Temples’ brilliant set was a triumph for the welcome return of psychedelic rock to the public music sphere.

If you are not oft’ partial to seeking out the abyss of talent that is the indie scene, Temples may have slipped under your radar. They’ve received attention from NME and can count Noel Gallagher and Johnny Marr as fans but for reasons I can only assume have something to do with having only released three singles, don’t have nearly the appropriate amount of coverage. A travesty as far as myself and (judging by enthusiastic response of Thursday’s sold out crowd) many others are concerned.

The scarcity of mainstream exposure will, if my instincts serve me well, be short-lived. If you need proof, please go and see this band because you will have a riot (quite literally, perhaps, as Temples appear to have developed a habit of encouraging the crowd to storm the stage for the popular ‘Shelter Song’).

If you know some of Temples’ music you’ll know that it pays beautiful homage to 70s psychedelic rock with lovely melodies and cooler than ice synths. It is an homage but it is in no way unoriginal. Amazingly, the band have managed to take such an iconic style of music completely associated with one particular decade and updated it to fit the 21st century with such ease and finish.

The vocals have a pretty trippy quality to them (as does the atmosphere of their gigs) but not enough to be distorted to the point of indistinction. Overall, an extremely pretty treat for the ears. A treat for the aesthetic visuals as well; the lead singer had a Bowie vibe going on, sporting a glittery top, sparkly eye make-up and gaudy jewellery. Like a hipster Christmas tree.

The influences of Temples are many. The Beatles’ LSD-inspired Revolver must have been prevalent in the minds of the band when writing their current repertoire. Similarly, there’s a lot to be said for the influences of drug-fuelled Primal Scream’s Screamadelica. I make no assumptions about Temples’ state of sobriety during writing but take from the aforementioned musings what you will.

Tame Impala’s 2012 album Lonerism was lauded from all sorts of corners and judging by Thursday’s gig, Temples could quite easily be hot on their tails as another band to further the cause of neo-psychedelia.

Liv Clark

…Liv is listening to Blondie – ‘Rapture’…

Follow Impact Music on Facebook and Twitter

Caught on Campus: 22/10/2013

Review - Turbo

1. May 22, 2014 at 16:32 — Reply

I enjoy what you guys are usually up too. This sort of
    clever work and reporting! Keep up the excellent works