gigguideoctoberp12013

With the academic year now in full swing, why not take a break from your undoubtedly committed studying by watching some of these great bands in Nottingham? With October being such a busy month, this is just the first instalment of our Gig Guide. Look out for Part #2 coming soon!

_________________________

03.10.13 – Wheatus, Rescue Rooms

Well aware that the majority of punters will be there for one song and one song only, Wheatus will be undoubtedly keen to meet expectations of their early 00s ‘Teenage Dirtbag’ heyday whilst showing the audience what else they have in their lively and most importantly, fun repertoire.

03.10.13 – Miles Kane, Rock City

Everybody’s favourite well-dressed cheeky chappy returns to Nottingham for the first time since his successful stint on the 2013 NME Awards Tour. With new album, Don’t Forget Who You Are, Kane takes the best British songwriting of the past half a century and creates something entirely his own.

03.10.13 – Splashh, Spanky’s

It’s absolutely no surprise that these guys hail from Australia, with their sun-drenched sound and raucous live performances. Splashh perfectly blend the underground sound of Strokes’ debut ‘Is this it?’ with sunny Beach Boys melodies. If chaotic singalongs are your thing, then jump straight in the deep end with Splashh.

04.10.13 – Spector, Spanky’s

Fred Macpherson brings his indie-pop five-piece to the intimate surroundings of Spanky Van Dyke’s. Expect outrageous shirts, smug arrogance and stupendously catchy indie disco dancefloor hits.

04.10.13 – Kings Of Lyon, Rescue Rooms

Everyone’s favourite American rockers, Kings Of Leon, arrive at the intimate surroundings of Rescue Rooms! Oh…hang on. It might not be the real thing, but expect every tune to sound just as good, if not better, than the originals.

05.10.13 – Eagulls, Chameleon

Hailing from Leeds, the five-piece that is Eagulls manage to juggle full-time jobs with creating their exceptional take on dark and aggressive punk. The self-titled EP released last year bordered on the harder, more cutting sounds of punk, whereas new single ‘Nerve Endings’ is straight out of the early 80s post-punk manual. Don’t pass up this chance to see Eagulls in these intimate surroundings before their inevitable success.

06.10.13 – Glasvegas, Rock City

Glasvegas will bring the first week of October to a close with their gloomy indie rock at Rock City. Expect powerful anthems and tales of absent fathers, young offenders institutes, social workers and ice cream vans roaming the eery streets of a Glasweigan council estate. Criminally underrated since their eponymous debut, recently released third album Later…When the TV Turns to Static will provide a number of welcome additions to the setlist. Add to that the precise venue, downstairs in the intimate basement rather than the main room, and here is a gig not to be missed.

09.10.13 – Kids In Glass Houses, Rescue Rooms

Welsh rock band, Kids In Glass Houses, return to Nottingham with new album Peace having been released on September 30th. Full of personality and catchy pop-rock hooks, a Kids In Glass Houses gig will get you dancing and singing along like nobody else. Don’t miss this show!

10.10.13 – Amber, Bodega

Emerging Nottingham indie-pop act play the tiny Bodega. Having already received radio airtime from BBC Radio 1, as well as a fantastically successful debut EP, Amber could well be the next Nottingham success story. A must-see.

10.10.13 – San Cisco, Rescue Rooms

San Cisco is composed by four extremely cheerful Australians, who play an equally positive and vibrant indie pop. Fuelled by quirky yet cute lyrics, their songs have signature sweet beats that will immediately produce smiles on their audience. They create an irresistibly happy atmosphere wherever they go, don’t miss them.

11.10.13 – Passenger, Rock City

Mike Rosenberg, aka Passenger, smashed the charts with the exceptional ‘Let Her Go’, but is far from a one trick pony, as the success of his latest album All the Little Lights suggests. His remarkable voice, twinned with a mellow folk-rock sound makes for a unique and splendid end result.

11.10.13 – The Story So Far, Rescue Rooms

This American pop-punk band are touring their 2013 effort, What You Don’t See. Expect guitar hooks galore, and perhaps even the odd moshpit here and there. Energy-infused music, not to be missed.

12.10.13 – Drenge, Bodega

This Sheffield-based duo receive lazy comparisons to fellow twosomes, The Black Keys and The White Stripes. However, Drenge are firmly in the punk bracket, playing loud, fast and aggressively. ‘Bloodsports’ remains one of the best alternative guitar songs of recent years. The Bodega ought to be the perfect surroundings for their punk; don’t miss it.

14.10.13 – letlive., Rescue Rooms

Presenting what could loosely be labelled as progressive post-hardcore rock, letlive. are one of the most energetic bands you could ever come across. After the success of new album The Blackest Beautiful, the band stop off at Nottingham’s Rescue Rooms which we can only hope will be left standing. Expect carnage.

14.10.13 – Troumaca, Bodega

Named after a West Indian village, their sound takes the best from UK bass culture and classic British songwriting, whilst referencing Caribbean gospel on the way. Instantly loveable, Troumaca’s giddy harmonies could take them all the way.

15.10.13 – The Jim Jones Revue, Rescue Rooms

This is a bill on which the support band is as exciting as the main act. The Jim Jones Revue’s old-school rock n roll will undoubtedly be a live treat, yet support act, The Amazing Snakeheads, ought to confirm their place as the most exciting new band on the scene with their Glaswegian take on Iggy Pop rockiness and Mark E Smith eccentricity.

15.10.13 – Goo Goo Dolls, Rock City

Formed back in 1985 and best loved for their beautiful single ‘Iris’, alternative rock band The Goo Goo Dolls come to Nottingham with their latest album Magnetic released earlier this summer. The giants are supported by other 80s classics Flesh for Lulu, so make sure you bring your leather jacket and plenty of hairspray.

15.10.13 – Superfood, Bodega

This four piece seem to be the only band left from Birmingham that we don’t know too much about with Peace and Swim Deep emerging in the last year. Like their Brummie contemporaries, Superfood ooze a nonchalant and carefree spirit. Their eponymous debut single has ‘Modern Life Is Rubbish’ written all over it and if that’s anything to go by, these guys are most certainly ones to watch.

16.10.13 – Johnny Marr, Rock City

The legendary Smiths guitarist brings his explosive show to Nottingham Rock City. After an extensive Summer touring, with some of the most talked about festival appearances, it is easy to say you can expect great things. With a combination of both his solo work and songs from The Smiths, this is one you should not miss.

_________________________

Aaron Watts, Alex Neely, Claudia Jara, Dan Jones, Ishmael Anwuri, Liv Clark, Robert Smith

PFW SS'14: Elie Saab

Review - Blue Jasmine

1. […] Published by Impact Magazine […]