Sticking with Stella tradition, the SS’14 collection was the perfect blend of chic and sophistication. Trousers suits, dresses and bomber jackets saw the marrying of classic colours and clean lines with lux crocodile and giraffe inspired prints and beautiful silks all whilst keeping the perfect balance of tomboy/feminine. We’re talking the type of clothes that women want and the clothes that women then never want to take off.

st

Opening the show was the kick-ass trouser suit- the power player of the fashion world. But surprisingly the look wasn’t as sharp and ball breaking as you may expect from Stella. It was all much softer with long flowing trousers in a beautiful matte silk with a matching slouchy jacket allowing for it to be playful and feminine whilst retaining its bold empowering Stella spirit. With a plain tee replacing a shirt, the laid back style gives this 80’s legacy a fresh modern identity.

ste

The rich navy of the trouser suit set the scene for the classic colour palette of soft grey-blues, creamy peaches, burnt terracotta and strawberry reds…all beautifully muted, wearable and chic. Velveteen giraffe spots add texture to sheer tapered utility playsuits and deep raspberry coloured square shouldered dresses whose deep V neckline give that added sex appeal.  Crocodile skin printed silks were also part of the exotic offering of fabrics, this time crafted into lux long-line bomber jackets in gold tones with varsity-style contrasting sleeves in soft feminine peach. Such a take on the varsity jacket is so refreshing bearing in mind the myriad of cropped sporty styles having already been offered by designers and the unimaginative copies of the high street. Stella’s grown-up feminine twist on the tomboy classic jacket adds that much needed dash of luxury and unsurprisingly trumps them all.

stell

The collection then becomes a whole lot more romantic and I dare say a touch ‘girly’ as blush silks, floral satins and flippy hemlines follow whilst remaining recognisably Stella- modern and clean-cut.. Navy satin A-line tops create billowing silhouettes as they hang beautifully from the bust and skim over tapered satin cropped trousers, together making a current and chic ensemble.

But the feminine sex appeal was ramped up as the show started to draw to a close with boudoir and lingerie inspired lace trimmed slip dresses. In cherry red, deep navy, charcoal and white, delicate sheer floral lace plunges down to reveal the exposed soft curves of the models’ lower backs. Keeping the sex-appeal in check are the longer 50’s hemlines that skim the models’ knees and the sporty slashed asymmetric and wide-strap necklines.

stel

Combining classic lines, chic tailoring, lux silks and delectable lace dresses the collection is wearable, versatile and modern and epitomises the Stella woman. Such women being Miranda Kerr, the Victoria Secret brunette bombshell, Joan Smalls, the lean-limbed modelling veteran, Cara Delevingne, the young twenty-something model of the moment and self-confessed tomboy. As is evident by her choice of models, Stella really has designed a collection, which taps into what it is to be a woman, whatever type of woman that may be.

Emma Willey

University Applications Returning to Pre-Fee Increase Numbers

Thomas Howarth's Uni Confessions: Student Finance took the roof from over my head.