Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2 continues with the adventures of scientist Flint Lockwood, picking up moments after the end of the first film. It follows the aftermath of Flint’s out of control food dispensing invention, which leads to the destruction of Swallow Falls. With the town covered in piles of oversized cheeseburgers and monstrous meatballs, Flint and the gang head a team responsible for the clean-up. Unsurprisingly, mayhem ensues.

Although the first film ends on a positive note, the writers find a way to continue the adventure throughout the second instalment. As well as providing the audience with a new villain, we also get to explore the new world of Live Corp, a company run by Flint’s childhood idol. From the initial flashback we see Flint’s passion for science evolve in a heartwarming display of excitement. With new characters and locations Meatballs 2 doesn’t disappoint.

Cloudy with a Chance 1

The newly introduced character of Chester V is the perfect narcissistic bad guy. He drinks soy quinoa lattes by the gallon and will have you saying ‘namaste’ before the final credits roll. As well as being the antagonist, Chester V exemplifies the modern wannabe ‘hipster,’ not only providing one of many inside jokes for the older audience, but also subverting the classic super villain personality in a fresh way. The scenes inside Live Corp are some of the more exciting and imaginative of the film.

Another enjoyable and creative aspect is the interweaving of animal and food to create laughable and ingenious hybrids. From the tacodile to the shrimpanzee and watermelephant, you can’t help but predict what crazy creature they’ll encounter next. Filled with pun after pun, grown up jokes and themes, this film will satisfy both younger and older audiences.

Cloudy with a Chance 2

In the first film we saw the budding relationship between Flint and Sam Sparks, the secretly nerdy weather girl. Sadly their endearing romance is put on hold for the sequel, but what else can you expect from a child’s film about oversized food monsters?

All in all, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2 merges its original concept with the standard hero/villain plot. Although it shares certain similarities with the original, the storyline is new and the sequel provides the closure needed in an imaginative way.

Alison Smink

What did you think of Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2Let us know via Facebook & Twitter.

Art in the Asylum @ Lakeside

TV Review - The Walking Dead, Season 4 Episode 1