On the 3rd of November we will be holding our annual Media Conference. Our conference aims to give students an introduction into the journalism industry: how to break into it, how to work in it and what opportunities the industry has to offer.

Our speakers will encourage students to think about the way that they write and learn the skills needed for journalism. The aim of this conference is to make it interactive; students will be able to engage with the speakers, both through the workshops and panel discussions.

IMC poster

Our Speakers

Tom Hill

@Up_To_Speed

Tom will be leading the Broadcast Journalism workshop, and sitting on the Broadcast Panel.

He currently runs the journalism training programme, Up To Speed, and is a former producer on news programmes for ITN, the BBC, Sky News and GMTV.

James Robinson

@jamesro47

James will be leading the Breaking News workshop, and will sit on the Print and Online Panel. He is The Guardian’s former media correspondent, was the deputy business editor at the Sunday Express and was reporter for Sunday Business and the Birmingham Post. Last year he published his first novel Hacked Off, inspired by his coverage of the phone hacking scandal.

Alexander Britton

@adbritton

Alexander will be sitting on the Broadcast Panel.

He is currently the Political Correspondent at The Nottingham Post.

Jonross Swaby

@Jonross_Swaby

Jonross will be sitting on the Broadcast Panel.

He is a freelance video editor at The Guardian, and Course trainer CityBeat Radio.

Alex Hoban

@alex_hoban

Alex will be leading the Feature Writing workshop, and will sit on the Print and Online Panel.

He is a writer/producer at Vice Magazine, columnist for The Guardian,, and a writer at NME. He is also a UoN alumnus and was Impact’s music editor in 2006.

Ailbhe Malone

@ailbhetross

Ailbhe will be leading the Social Media workshop, and will sit on the Print and Online Panel.

She is a writer at BuzzFeed UK, and has previously been digital editor and journalist at NME, The GuardianThe Irish Independent.

Stu Manton

@stumanton

Stu will be sitting on the Broadcast Panel.

He is now Chair of the Student Radio Association, and last year was URN’s station manager.

Ben Falk

@benfalkwriter

Ben will be leading the Culture/Review workshop, and will sit on the Print and Online Panel.

He has been an online editor/journalist at Huffington Post, and worked with The Telegraph, Sky, BBC, Daily Mail, Empire Online as well as being a Television Producer at Channel 4, ITV, and Sky. Ben is also a UoN and Impact alumnus.

Hicham Yezza

@HichamYezza

Hicham will be leading the Investigative workshop, and sitting on the Print and Online Panel.

He is the editor-in-chief of Ceasefire Magazine, a quarterly political and cultural publication based in the UK. He is a regular commentator and speaker on politics, the media and civil liberties. He writes a fortnightly column on the Middle East and North Africa for openDemocracy.

Simon Walker

@GlophoWants

Simon will be leading the Photojournalism workshop. An award-winning photojournalist, Simon has worked for a variety of publications and agencies, including The Independent, The Sunday Telegraph, The Sunday Express, Stern  Magazine, Gamma Liaison Photo Agency and most recently at The Times, where he was News Picture Editor. In 2010 he left traditional journalism to set up Glopho – the news photo-sharing social network.

Quentin Rayner

@quentinrayner

Quentin will be sitting on the Broadcast Panel.

He is the Chief News Reporter for BBC East Midlands Today.

Visit our conference website to buy tickets and for more details about the event.

Live Review: The Growlers / Tomorrows Tulips / Kagoule, Bodega (26/10/13)

The Mercury Prize