Have you ever looked at games today and thought that they are just too easy? Where they don’t challenge you, but hold you by your hand and guide you through to the end and try to tell that you have achieved something? If you fancy a challenge then set your sights for 10 Second Ninja, it does not have mercy, it takes no prisoners and it will certainly not make anything easy for you if you have trouble beating it.

I desperately tried to get through the levels trying to beat the clock, and I can tell you this game is hard.

I tried 10 Second Ninja when the creator Dan Pearce was showing it in the open arcade during GameCity8 along with his most recent game Castles in the Sky with the indie team The Tall Trees. 10 Second Ninja is his side project heavily contrasting Castles in the Sky. I desperately tried to get through the levels trying to beat the clock, and I can tell you this game is hard.

“What can be more evil than Nazi robots from space?”

First of all – Gaming 101, you need to have some memorable and evil bad guys and as Dan put it himself- “What can be more evil than Nazi robots from space?” A great choice of baddies that gets around the problem of slicing up “living” beings.

Use your katana or three shuriken to slice and dice your way through the levels.

The Hero as you can tell is going to be a ninja and – the mission is to stop the giant robo-Hitler from taking over the world by destroying Nazi robots in 40 lightning fast platform levels in less than 10 seconds for each level while being rated depending on how good you do, the faster you are the more stars you get. Use your katana or three shuriken to slice and dice your way through the levels.

Dan is not afraid to be bold and daring with the narrative and themes.

The game does not take itself too seriously and provides tons of fun and, as I experienced first-hand, a bit of frustration. Dan is not afraid to be bold and daring with the narrative and themes.

screen5

The game is designed to be slick, streamlined and fast with short time limit, fast smooth movement and features such as instant restart with a press of a button keeps you going again and again.

Features such as the double jump add more dynamic to the gameplay and environmental hazards such as falling obstacles and dissolving platforms test your limits to the maximum.

Playing this game gave me a feel of playing “old school” platformers with the simple, yet effective art style, and soundtrack, developed by Tim Rurkowski, that keeps your heart beating while trying to get through the game.

Achieving top score at this game will require you to be a flawless, ruthless and deadly efficient perfectionist.

Achieving top score at this game will require you to be a flawless, ruthless and deadly efficient perfectionist, when you will try for hours to get those hundredths of a second off the clock. This reminds me of playing Mirrors Edge where similar feature of achieving the fastest time kept players at their screens and devising some really unique and unorthodox solutions to problems.

screen2
With only 10 seconds per level, this game does not take up much of your time and I can see it being especially popular amongst students- I challenge you to even get past the first few levels.

Dan Pearce has worked on the game for over a year and from what I see now, it’s very impressive. It is great to see independent developers exploring these different styles and gameplay for a refreshing change of pace from traditional heavyweight triple A titles.

10 Second Ninja is expected to be out in 2014 for Windows and Mac.

Richard Lakucs

Follow Impact Gaming on Facebook

From Nanoreactors to New Medicines: Research at the School of Chemistry

Arty Things to do in Nottingham: Nottingham Contemporary