Something that many students in Nottingham bemoan is the lack of cultural experiences the city offers. With many students coming from London, with its multitude of world famous museums and galleries, this is unsurprising. However, the discerning student, with a little research, can unearth a variety of arty things to do.

One such example is the Nottingham Contemporary, an art gallery situated near to the Pitcher and Piano bar on Weekday Cross. From the outside this industrial building looks intriguing, and inside it does not disappoint with its carefully curated gallery space. At any time numerous exhibitions are running.

What is more surprising about the small provincial art gallery is that the exhibitions are sometimes international in scope.

Recently it displayed an exhibition of art pertaining to the craft of voodoo magic in Haiti. Currently there are exhibitions ranging from reviews of specific artists work (coming soon are Tala Madani and Marvin Gaye Chetwynd) to the display of private collections and exhibitions of specific types of piece. At the moment, for example, you can see a collection of postcards.

Its theatrical characteristics made it the most engaging work.

What is more surprising about the small provincial art gallery is that the exhibitions are sometimes international in scope. Currently Geoffrey Farmer’s Let the Water Turn Back is on display. Farmer is a Canadian and the Contemporaries website describes his work as ‘his most technically ambitious installation to date’.

This is a group project put on with other international galleries and museums: namely the Pérez Art Museum Miami, the Migros Museum für Gegenwartskunst in Zurich and Hamburg’s Kunstverei. It is obvious that this piece is extremely powerful and that the international nature of the piece is deserved. It is made up of dozens of sculptures which move to music. Its theatrical characteristics made it the most engaging work.

The Contemporary is an intriguing part of the Nottingham cultural scene. Whether looking for an interesting place to take a date (the Contemporary has a café bar as well as the gallery facilities) or something to do on those slow Sundays (rather than lying in bed and binge watching programs) this art gallery offers a relaxing place to visit.

Charlotte Ball

Follow Impact Arts on Twitter and Facebook

preview: 10 Second Ninja

Interview: Jason Isbell