Company magazine hosted a beauty forum at the London College of Fashion last month and I was lucky enough to be able to go. I follow the magazine and the beauty team on Twitter which is how I found out about it.

I recommend that you try and follow as many people you can in the industry you’re interested in because they will often post events and internship opportunities this way. The ticket was £25-plus train fare- so is it worth going to if you want a career in the beauty industry?

company1

After attending my 9-11am seminar (dedication or what?!) I hopped on the train and two hours later I was in St Pancras station. It didn’t take long from there to find the LCF and after a bit of queuing I was welcomed into a small room with a glass of champagne in hand.

There were different stands with the opportunity to have treatments done by industry experts.  I had my nails done at the Bourjois stand and I would have had my eyebrows threaded or make up applied but there were queues for each one, so you had to pick your favourite. Lee Stafford was surrounded by people as he demonstrated his hair styling techniques (which I’ll definitely be trying at home).

I met some lovely people, from a professional blogger to a wedding planner trying to network, so it is a great way to put yourself out there and meet people with the same interests as you. I also got a chance to talk to the magazine’s photographer and beauty assistant who were both extremely friendly and I bombarded them with questions and got some very helpful answers.

company2

The main reason I went to the event was for the Q&A session with an expert panel. This included:  Lily Pebbles from What I Heart Today, Fleur from Fleur de Force (both successful beauty bloggers), Lisa Potter-Dixon – Head Make up and Trend Artist at Benefit, Nathalie Eleni – Venus and Braun Beauty Therapist, Rachael Houghton from Bourjois, beauty director Sophie Quesreshi  from Company magazine and the one and only Lee Stafford. They each explained their route into the particular part of the industry they’re in and gave advice on what has made them successful. It was a very interesting talk and every topic was covered.

The event was from 6:00pm-8:30pm so it did feel a bit rushed as there was a lot to see and people to talk to. I was slightly apprehensive about going on my own but it was absolutely fine. It was a bit surreal being in London for only a few hours but it was definitely worth the time and money and has given me extra motivation to work harder for what I want. The free goody bag (photo above) was an added bonus!

Ella Ryder

Follow Impact Style on Twitter @ImpactStyle or find us on Facebook

Don't Hate, Procrastinate! #4

Is No Skincare the Best Skincare?

1. January 1, 2014 at 12:11 — Reply

thank you for this pro