More than 750 staff at Nottinghamshire County Council will be made redundant, as part of a new wave of cuts to take effect in the new year.

The Labour local authority will make cuts of £83 million from its annual £590 million budget.

The cuts have prompted Labour County Council leader, Alan Rhode, to criticise the drop in funding for Nottinghamshire from the central government, which represents a decrease of around 21 per cent over the next two years.

“It’s better to fight Tory austerity from inside the Labour Party, than be part of a disjointed Left”.

He maintained that “The Government needs to know what a devastating impact these cuts will have on our communities.”

Rhode added that sufficient funding was essential in order for Nottinghamshire County Council to provide “those valuable services, but also stimulate our local economy, support businesses, create jobs and improve education, skills and training opportunities.”

Many Nottingham residents have reacted to cuts by starting initiatives such as the ‘Fair Deal for Nottingham’ campaign.

This campaign will be expressed through the erection of stalls across Nottinghamshire as well as a petition to the Prime Minister demanding that cuts be limited in the future.

The Council hopes that these actions will attract collective support from local trade unions, businesses and Nottingham MPs.

A University of Nottingham (UoN) Labour activist told Impact, “It is disgraceful that Labour Councillors are forcing through cuts from central government. They should be placing all their efforts on protecting the most vulnerable, not pleading with a government that is ideologically tied to austerity.”

“It is disgraceful that Labour Councillors are forcing through cuts from central government”

This sentiment was echoed by a UoN first year student who joined the Labour party last month. He argued that it was “better to fight Tory austerity from inside the Labour Party, than be part of a disjointed Left”.

However, he did note that Nottinghamshire County Council should be more proactive in fighting against cutbacks, rather than “simply stating the obvious – that the cuts are unfair.”

Recent community actions such as the Bonfire of Austerity Protest highlight that any further public sector cuts and/or job losses will likely fuel the growing discontent within the UoN student population and among local residents in Nottingham.

Jacob Bentley

Campus Reporter

Follow Impact News on Twitter and Facebook

Image: Howard Lake via Flickr

University Of Nottingham To Trial The GPA System

Do you give a shit? Impact investigates student activism

1. Anon

“It is disgraceful that Labour Councillors are forcing through cuts from central government. They should be placing all their efforts on protecting the most vulnerable, not pleading with a government that is ideologically tied to austerity.”

They don’t really have much choice. They can’t spend money if they don’t have it.

2. November 11, 2013 at 13:15 — Reply

This article gives a complete false impression about Nottingham City Council and Government cuts. I have written a counter argument to this piece on my blog because there are some clear problems with this article. See http://thingselliottsays.blogspot.co.uk/2013/11/false-impressions-from-impact.html