The delightful year of living within the safe confines of University halls is now over for me and let’s be honest: I was basically living in a rowdy retirement village. No more wardens patrolling the grounds and certainly no key-carded gates protecting you from the scary ‘real world’.

As a first timer to Lenton, living in a house full of carefree students has already caused my blood pressure to increase. This is not aided by the hushed conversations around campus of students who have been burgled. It is fairly simple: all the burglar has to do is wait for you to leave your house en masse to Crisis, they then call their partners-in-crime and hey presto, they’ve just bagged themselves six laptops and a hairdryer.

“Why don’t you save the hilarious tweets and check that your back door is locked.”

I would just like to put it out there that for many victims of burglary I do extend my sympathies; it is a horrible trauma to experience and something that at such a young age we do not expect to deal with. However, I am far more fired up about those who think it is ‘such fun’ to post their address freely onto social networking sites. I don’t have enough fingers and toes to count how many peoples’ house numbers and streets I know just from Twitter hashtags.

“I don’t have enough fingers and toes to count how many peoples’ house numbers and streets I know just from Twitter hashtags.”

All a criminal has to do is watch and wait for ‘#9KimboltonOnTour’ and then they’re rubbing their hands with glee. If you insist on leaving your windows unlocked with no sign of life inside, it’s basically an open invitation. If you are more than happy to tweet ‘Whoops, keep forgetting to turn the alarm on!’ then you, sir, are most naive.

There are so many simple deterrents so why don’t you save the hilarious tweets and check that your back door is locked. However if in doubt, and you know that you can’t resist letting the entire local populace know your hourly location and your lack of common sense, I suggest you Google contents insurance, just to be safe.

Pollyanna Ward (@Pollage)

Follow Impact Comment on Twitter and Facebook

Image: Tokyo Times via Flickr.

TV licence: Any chance of a student discount?

The Rise of Science in Social Media