National Equal Pay Day was yesterday marked in Nottingham by a small-scale protest at Old Market Square. Campaigners expressed their anger towards the growing disparity between male and female pay in the UK.

The organiser of the Nottingham protest, Sarah Camplin, told Impact she feels that “women today, compared to men, are working for free”.

Camplin claims that women earn 20% less than men based on average figures.

“Women are doing exactly the same work as men but are being paid less. The Equal Pay Act declared that women and men should be paid the same”.

“It is unacceptable that women are still underpaid in relation to their male counterparts”.

Equal Pay Day is not affiliated to an organisation. Camplin decided to organise the Nottingham event after seeing the Equal Pay Day advertised on a Facebook group.

Camplin also lamented structural inequality, which, she claims, has an impact on childcare and female welfare in the workplace.

“Women are paid 17% less than men in full time work, and 38% less in part time work”.

The University of Nottingham Students’ Union Women’s Officers, Nina Humphries and Krishna Shah, said:

“The first equal pay act was published in 1970, more than 40 years ago, and it is unacceptable that women are still underpaid in relation to their male counterparts. The London Economic Consultancy estimated that around 70-80% of women would not be able to pay off their student loans 30 years after they graduate, due to the inequality in pay.

On average, women are paid 17% less than men in full time work, and 38% less in part time work. The Women’s Network realise that this is a huge problem and it is something that we are invested in to tackle.”

Rob Moher

Research: Milly Scott-Steele

Follow Impact News on Twitter and Facebook

From the Mouth of Madness #3: Paedophobia in the Horror Genre

Nottingham Reclaim The Night March

1. December 8, 2013 at 20:09 — Reply

Sarah I think you did great organising that event sorry I was not there but I was with you in spiritxx

Keep up your good work il be there next year if u have one x

Lots of love Sarah k xxx

2. December 8, 2013 at 20:33 — Reply

What a fantastic event organised by a special women , who really fights for women’s rights !!!

I’m proud to say I know Sarah and I enjoy being trained by her for WAIS helpline , I also love the banners that I helped make , to which they also featured on the Reclaim the Night march the night after this !

Go sarah gooooo go go go !!

Lots of love Sarah xx