Every week we are bombarded by round-ups of the latest ‘must-have’ purchases, the new trends that will ‘change our lives’ and enticing sale rails. But with a student budget reigning in the fashion ambition and cutting short the lengthy wish lists, it all becomes a rather tricky decision of what to buy. To make matters worse, the majority of these ‘cannot live without’ clothes will become old news in a matter of weeks, leaving your ‘investment pieces’ nothing more than a waste of money and a fashion regret.

The result? We are left feeling lost, puzzled and with a brain as woolly as Topshop’s newest drop of cuddly knitwear. So with the fear of wasting precious student pennies on an unfortunate, ill-advised and hasty impulse purchase, what you really need is a little helping hand. This column will inform you of the one classic item of clothing to invest in each month- hopefully something which will be versatile, affordable, fuss-free and a far cry from being a one-wear-wonder.

kate-moss-alexa-chung

It’s November and the signs of the new season are far from subsiding. Temperatures are falling, our chilly fingers are poised over the central heating button and autumn leaves are already covering the treacherous path to university with the potential for slippy embarrassment. The purchase for November can therefore be just one thing- a good old Chelsea boot. Whether you opt for the classic pull-on riding boot or a reworked version with croc skin, buckles and added fancy bits, the choice is entirely yours. One thing that is for sure, this leather style staple will hold its own if you’re trotting round campus, going out for date night or gracing your favourite cocktail haunt.

Take your style inspiration from Alexa Chung and team with a Burberry-esque trench coat for a sophisticated ensemble of Britishness or follow in the well-cobbled footsteps of Kate Moss and exude rock-chick chic in tatty denim and the quintessential leopard fur coat. Either way you’re on to a winner and will be digging them out of your wardrobe year after year…there’s no chance of these falling out of fashion favour any time soon. So if you can only afford one thing this month and want it to be a regret-free versatile classic then look no further.

boots

SLOW Carvela Kurt Geiger Chelsea boot £150, AGE Chelsea Boots £62 at Topshop, Apocalypse boot £55 at Asos,

Emma Willey

For more from Impact Style follow us on Twitter @ImpactStyle or find us on Facebook

Images: RDuJour.com, chung-alexa.tumblr.com, topshop.com, asos.com, kurtgeiger.com, thegloss.com

Review: Batman: Arkham Origins

Respected Academic Denied Entry Into UK