There is nothing worse than waking up in the morning and discovering a spot the size of Mount Everest on your face. It seems to be a natural instinct to battle this problem through buying product after product to ‘reduce the redness’ or to ‘become blackhead and spot free’. Many of us may have even undertaken a trip to the GP, coming away with a strange acne preventing roll on, or some prescribed cream which makes your skin drier than the Sahara Desert. After years and years of suffering from this issue, fed up of trying copious amounts of products and of running to the GP every month, I have begun asking myself, do these products actually work? 

I am going to review a few of the products out there on the market which target clearing and preventing acne. It is important to note that my reviews are based on my own experience- I have oily, sensitive skin and therefore results may be different for those of you with different skin types. In severe cases of acne, a trip to the GP may be necessary.

cleanandclear

A hypoallergenic product designed to gently exfoliate your skin, preventing clogged pores by removing dirt, oil and impurities. Sounds like a God- sent doesn’t it? Not quite…

First up is Clean and Clear Morning Burst Scrub, a hypoallergenic product designed to gently exfoliate your skin, preventing clogged pores by removing dirt, oil and impurities. Sounds like a God- sent doesn’t it? Not quite. Although I found that this product worked well to remove make-up, even after multiple uses in one session (not recommended) my skin was still left feeling quite oily especially in the T-zone area. I have been a lover of facial scrubs in the past simply because having acne makes me want to scrub and scrub and scrub at my skin (also not recommended). Since the product fails at leaving my skin feeling ‘fresh and revitalised’ this somewhat spurs on my urge to scrub, and unsurprisingly, the beads in this wash therefore left my skin feeling somewhat sensitive and quite uncomfortable when applying make-up.

In just one or two applications, the pain from the spots began to ease and within a few more applications, they began to disappear completely.

Next up is Freederm Spot Gel. This product uses an anti-inflammatory action to reduce red inflamed spots. At first, I actually found that this product worked relatively well. In just one or two applications, the pain from the spots began to ease and within a few more applications, they began to disappear completely. The gel also left my skin feeling smooth, unlike most Clearasil and Clean and Clear products which have a tendency to completely dry out my skin. However, the main issue with this product, is that after a couple of weeks, the product became less effective, as if my skin became immune to the gel. I would therefore only recommend this product for one off usage!

simple-skincare-range

The practice caused my skin to become the most sensitive and the oiliest it had ever been.

After trying and failing with the all of the above products, I attempted the ‘cleanse, tone and moisturise’ routine using the Simple Skincare range, designed for sensitive skin as ingredients include no perfumes or colours. This decision was the worst of all, as the practice caused my skin to become the most sensitive and the oiliest it had ever been, and as a result, I suffered from a breakout the following week. I would therefore definitely not recommend following this routine if you have oily skin, as most affordable cleansers, toners and moisturisers (especially the moisturisers) leave your skin feeling even oilier, which if you are prone to spots, does your skin more harm than good.

So, what is the best method of skincare? 

You will find that your skin is left feeling less oily and irritated and as a result your acne should ease naturally

No skincare at all. Forget the face washes, the spot gels, the moisturisers, the toners and the cleaners, and simply wash your face (and any make-up off) with water and fragrance free soap (Dove works a treat). You will find that your skin is left feeling less oily and irritated and as a result your acne should ease naturally and you will no longer have to break the bank by buying useless treatments which for the most-part, cause more harm than good.

Heather Corser

Follow Impact Style on Twitter @ImpactStyle or find us on Facebook

Images from thefashionablehousewife.com, gordonsdirect.com, venusbuzz.com, candykittens.co.uk

Company Magazine Beauty Forum

Arty things to do in Nottingham: All Fired Up @ Nottingham Contemporary

1. Jenny

If you want to try an all-natural cleanser try using raw honey as a moisturising facial cleanser I found a great method on (www.benefitsrawhoney.com) after two weeks my skin is softer than ever and my acne has cleared!