American female duo, Deap Vally, play a sold-out show in the basement of Nottingham’s Rock City.

On the back of recent debut album, Sistrionix, Lindsey Troy (guitar/vocals) and Julie Edwards (drums/vocals), the Los Angeles girls that make up Deap Vally, have had a busy summer, almost exclusively spent in Europe. They’ve played a series of festivals, including Glastonbury, and their very American garage rock has seen them gather a large enough fanbase in the UK to fill the reasonably-sized Rock City Basement.

Their sound switches between the straight-up, hook-laden indie rock of ‘I Wanna Dance…’ to the considerably trippier ‘Armed’.

Before Deap Vally, however, are New York’s Skaters. Not as boundary-pushing as Parquet Courts and not as exciting as The Strokes circa 2001, yes, but Skaters hold a well-deserved spot in the contemporary New York music scene. Their sound switches between the straight-up, hook-laden indie rock of ‘I Wanna Dance…’ to the considerably trippier ‘Armed’. An excellent set from a band that have improved drastically from their previous Nottingham appearance as part of Dot To Dot.

There’s nothing particularly ‘bad’ about Deap Vally, just a total lack of imagination.

With minimum changeover time, Deap Vally take to the stage to cheers that wouldn’t seem out of place for a band with three times their fame. Not bad for a band that makes what is essentially pretty standard rock n roll, with just the odd glimpse of faux-eccentricity keeping them out of the utterly mundane. There’s nothing particularly ‘bad’ about Deap Vally, just a total lack of imagination. With little to differentiate between the songs; all scorching feedback, over-excited vocals and identically-structured rock, the set drags. Totally fine, just not very good.

Drenge are everything that Deap Vally strive to be; a rock duo that throw the norm out the window, focusing on aggression, urgency and punk. Punk. Skaters do, however, have something about them and are the easy victors on tonight’s showing.

Alex Neely

…Alex is listening to Fat White Family – ‘Is It Raining In Your Mouth?’…

Follow Impact Music on Twitter and Facebook

Back to Oblivion @ Nottingham New Theatre

To go out or not to go out? The problems of being a second year