The swiftly-accumulating crowd varied from M&S cashmere scarves to brightly-dyed dreadlocks. This BBC Radio 6Music audience is a strange mix of stereotypes all united by the common denominator; a love of music. As 6Music are such fervent advocators of Public Service Broadcasting, awarding them the ‘Rebel Playlist’ award twice in one year, their gig was almost a social for 6Music listeners.

The crowd chorused into assertive nods and murmurs rather than the usual gig screams as the duo entered the stage. The two making up the entirety of the band looked like they had rushed from Dr. Who auditions sporting corduroy, dickiebows and elbow patches. They both remained silent throughout the performance, instead relying on the voice over of the bloke from the Nine O’Clock news five decades ago. This unique idea of incorporating voice clippings from 20th century BBC continued in their set.

The Rescue Rooms’ stage was crammed with retro TVs and a gigantic, neon radio tower which illuminated and projected old public information videos and propaganda clips from World War Two. J. Willgoose then sampled appropriate audio clips whilst multitasking to a Guinness World Records extreme. He juggled synths, his MacBook electronic samples and alternated between a Fender guitar and a banjo. Wrigglesworth, the other half the duo cleverly kept a tempo going through this hurricane of madness on drums.

Their last song, ‘Everest’, left the crowd feeling more elevated than Edmund Hillary

The entire thing sounds like a Benny Hill chase, kind of disaster. Surprisingly, it works very well. The brains behind the sound of Public Service Broadcasting have to be humongous. There must have been so much time dedicated to finding fitting visuals and strange samples such as, commentaries of expeditions of Everest and weird Dutch ice skating documentaries with such a distinct genre of music. Their guts have equaled their cleverness by making a career out of such an experimental sound with electronic-banjo fusions. Their gamble seems to have paid off as the excitement from the reserved 6Music crowd climbed as the two reentered the stage for their encore. Their last song, ‘Everest’, left the crowd feeling more elevated than Edmund Hillary, the chap in the projected video sitting on top of the highest mountain.

Daisy Foster

…Daisy is listening to Lana Del Rey – ‘Young And Beautiful’…

For more from Impact Music, check us out on Facebook and Twitter

Live Review: M O N E Y, The Corner (15/11/09)

UoN Campaign Raises £100 Million