Sunday 17th November marks the 43rd birthday of Page Three and in response protestors have led ‘No More Page Three’ campaigns all over the country.

Set up by Lucy-Anne Holmes in August 2012, this campaign calls for the end of the controversial images of topless women on Page Three of national newspapers such as The Sun.

IMAG1265

Saturday 16th November 2013 saw the No More Page Three campaign return for the second year to Old Market Square in Nottingham, and Nottingham organiser Lisa Clarke told Impact that this year there was more positive public interest in the campaign – reassuring her that society is changing its perception of Page Three.

“Stop objectifying women. A newspaper is for news not boobs!”

Twenty-five universities and university colleges have followed Bradford University’s lead and banned the sale of “The Sun” on campus, although the University of Nottingham (UoN) is not one of those.

IMAG1269

Nadhya Kamalaneson, 18, studying Maths at UoN said, “I’m here because there is more to women than how we look”.

Kamalaneson is a member of UoN’s Women’s Network, and went on to add: “Stop objectifying women. A newspaper is for news not boobs!”

Page Three could “escalate to rape”.

Another campaigner, Jessica Dutton, told Impact that Page Three was an unnecessary and out-dated concept. She worries that certain types of men will learn from Page Three that women are “easy and accessible” – which could escalate to “bigger societal problems such as abuse and rape”.

IMAG1259

She maintains that Page Three will end: “If women can get the vote, we will get rid of Page Three, it just might take a bit longer!”

The message of the protest on Saturday was the celebration of women. Women were asked to sign a pair of giant cardboard breasts with things they were proud of achieving. Slogans such as “Women have brains as well as boobs” and “My boobs are only 2% of me, but 100% mine!” reassured campaigners that there was support for the cause in Nottingham.

“Porn in the paper must stop”.

There was of course opposition to the protest, with a male passer-by telling Impact that he had no objection to Page Three, claiming it was not pornographic. Nottingham residents Josh and Toby, aged 16, told Impact that the Page Three images helped them “enjoy life”.

Alternatively, one rather vocal passer-by commented that no one wanted to look at a naked man in the newspaper every day, so why should she look at women? Her message was that “porn in the paper must stop”.

Its 43rd birthday will be its last.

Sam Clements, a Graduate Medic at UoN, brought her children along to the protest. She told Impact that she cannot believe The Sun thinks it is fine to objectify women. She wants to raise her daughter with the belief that she can be anything she wants to be.

The message in Market Square was one of change, and Lucy-Anne Holmes firmly believes that its 43rd birthday will be the last one Page Three celebrates.

Beth Rowland

Campus Reporter

Follow Impact News on Twitter and Facebook

Crack down on Christmas Cravings

Impact Plays - Mirrors Edge