Nottingham Labour Students hosted Gloria de Piero MP on Friday evening as part of the launch of their Living Wage Campaign. This comes as part of a growing movement demanding employers to pay wages which will enable workers to provide themselves with everyday necessities and pay bills.

The newly promoted Shadow Cabinet Minister for Women and Equalities was part of a panel that were invited to discuss the need for the University of Nottingham to implement a living wage for all its staff. By a UNISON representative’s calculations, two pay brackets of University of Nottingham staff are currently below the living wage rate of £7.45.

The introduction of the living wage is seen as a way for Nottingham to become a safer, healthier and more prosperous city.

Georgia Power, the chair of Nottingham Labour Students, told attendees that workers at the university deserved a pay rise to put them at this basic level. The SU’s Environment & Social Justice Officer Michael Olatokun emphasised the SU’s commitment to the campaign, whilst Lydia Rye of Nottingham Citizens revealed public forums provide evidence that the introduction of the living wage is seen as a way for Nottingham to become a safer, healthier and more prosperous city.

Catering assistant Kate, who has worked at the University of Nottingham for five years, outlined the demanding nature of the variety of tasks she completes on a daily basis while being paid less than the living wage. Receiving the most applause from the audience, she stated: “We are all equals and play an important role in the University regardless of the job… the living wage is the least we deserve.”

“The living wage is the least we deserve”.

De Piero concluded the speeches by emphasising the need for people rooted in communities to become involved with politics and talked about the economic difficulties that both individuals and the country are facing. As a consequence, De Piero said, the living wage campaign is becoming more important than ever.

In response to a question about the minimum wage, De Piero acknowledged the need to increase it and stated that the government is not prosecuting sectors that do not enforce it. The shadow minister also called for the need for major companies to be socially responsible  about profits and had agreement from Rye, when she stated that the living wage should be something that some businesses that can afford to pay should pay.

Loughborough University and Queen Mary London are universities which have successfully adopted the approach as part of 408 Living Wage accredited employers.

De Piero revealed that Labour leader Ed Miliband would be giving a speech on the matter at the end of the week. It has since been announced that the living wage would be his government’s “central mission”, and tax rebates would be used as an incentive for companies to become accredited living wage employers. Rye promoted a positive outlook on the viability of the campaign, using examples of Loughborough University and Queen Mary London as universities which have successfully adopted the approach as part of 408 Living Wage accredited employers.

November 3rd to November 9th is National Living Wage Week, and UNISON and Nottingham Labour Students are both running events to raise awareness for the cause. On Monday the 4th, Nottingham Citizens will be announcing the Living Wage Campaign from 8am in Market Square, and Nottingham Labour Students are running a workshop on campaigning methods in the evening (time and place to be confirmed).

Last December a motion supporting the premise was passed by the SU Council after campaigning from Nottingham Labour Students and the recent launch can be followed on the University of Nottingham Living Wage Campaign Facebook page.

Yasemin Craggs Mersinoglu

Campus Reporter

Follow Impact News on Twitter and Facebook

‘Bonfire of Austerity’ Protest in City Centre

Thomas Howarth's Uni Confessions - Juggling university and parenthood isn't easy

1. November 6, 2013 at 12:54 — Reply

Brilliant write-up.

Yesterday the new Living Wage was announced as £7.65 for non-London areas. This will put three pay brackets at UoN under the Living Wage, and it’s important that full-time employees are paid enough to live on and support their livelihoods and families.

In contrast, the minimum wage is £6.31, and it was heart-breaking to hear Kate’s stories of taking on responsibilities above her role, the inability to fund even a weekend away for her family, and the tireless effort she puts in for a wage which doesn’t completely cover the cost of living.

It’s worth noting that we also have the support of the Young Greens and others at UoNSU.

2. Georgia Power

Thanks for this, completely agree with everything Matt says.

The campaign has also been boosted by the support of the Young Greens, and many others have indicated that they would like to be involved.

Some of us attended the launch of the new living wage in Nottingham, which is £7.65 – the increase just shows how much the cost of living has increased.

Many other Universities in the East Midlands pay the living wage to all staff, including Loughborough and De Montfort, we believe UoN has the responsibility to do the same.