Best Group meals

Red Hot World Buffet

Eating at a buffet normally means being presented with cold, stodgy food and the pressure of ‘all you can eat’. Thankfully, Red Hot World Buffet is a pleasant surprise. The restaurant has an airport theme, with a ‘check-in’ desk as you walk in. It is enormous and two floors below ground level.

There is an incredible selection of food from Dim-Sum to Pizza to Sushi, not to mention the huge dessert area. Each section has a few staff tending to it, preparing new food and topping up the displays. The Mongolian Grill is a highlight. Here you select what you want in your stir-fry and they cook it up in front of you. Students get 20% off drinks and food so you can get all you can eat for £11.20 which is very good value. Final tip: Only go when you’re hungry!

There is an incredible selection of food from Dim-Sum to Pizza to Sushi, not to mention the huge dessert area.

Mayfair Chinese

Mayfair is an ideal restaurant to meet up with a group of mates before you head off for a night out. Mayfair is great for students as it has a BYOB policy, which saves you a lot of money if you are drinking. If you call ahead they offer an all you can eat menu for just £10. Although it isn’t exactly gourmet cuisine, it is a great small place for a big group of you to sit around and have a good laugh. The owner is very friendly and happy to accommodate larger groups.

Mayfair is great for students as it has a BYOB policy, which saves you a lot of money if you are drinking.

Best Date

Iberico World Tapas

The restaurant looks smart and chic inside and is tucked away just opposite the Lace Market Hotel. It is the perfect restaurant to take a date, as the menu has a wide variety of tapas dishes, each as delicious as the next. Our top picks are the Black Cod and the Inside Out Chicken Wings but make sure you leave space for pudding as the Churros are not to be missed. Each dish costs around £6, which is a small price to pay, assuming your date is worth it, and if not then there is a £11.95 lunch menu.

Make sure you leave space for pudding as the Churros are not to be missed.

Man’s Restaurant

Most people have been to Man’s Gourmet in the Portland building, but not so many venture into town to go to Man’s Restaurant. Man’s in town offers fantastic Dim Sum until 4pm every day. If you are looking for a place to try something new and impress your date with a culinary experience, Man’s is the place to go. It offers a very wide variety of authentic Dim Sum. Cheung Fung, Char Sui buns and Prawn Chive Dumplings are a must. If you are on a tight budget then Dim Sum is great.

Best Cooking Appliances

George Foreman

George Foreman Grills provide a quick and easy way to cook any type of meat, from steak to salmon, as well as vegetables. They reduce the fat content of meat by 42% by having a slant and a drip tray to collect the fat. They are an absolute necessity for student cooking: as well as cooking your food twice as fast, it saves a whole lot of hassle cleaning up. If you get one with removable plates you can just whack them in the dishwasher or give them a wipe down in the sink. You can get them on Amazon for just over £20.

[George Foreman grills] are an absolute necessity for student cooking: as well as cooking your food twice as fast, it saves a whole lot of hassle cleaning up.

Blender

A blender is a great way to increase your 5-a-day while making a tasty breakfast. It takes about 2 minutes to make a smoothie in the morning and makes a great breakfast to take with you on the way to uni. You can put pretty much anything in them, and can make them with water or milk depending how you like it. Most supermarkets sell frozen fruits, which are cheaper than fresh fruit and easy to keep in the freezer. Honey and yogurt are also great and if in doubt throw a banana in there for good measure.

It makes a great breakfast to take with you on the way to uni.

Best Deals

Spanky Van Dykes

Get down to Spanky Van Dykes on a Tuesday and get 2-4-1 on all of their burgers. Their burgers start at £7.75 and go up to £9.59 for the Ruby Jean’s; Smoked bacon, Emmental, Mushrooms and Onion Rings. All the burgers are homemade and are served with chips. Most of the time when you go to the likes of GBK or Byron you will pay £3/4 for chips but here you will be paying a maximum of £5 each for your burger and chips. If you don’t fancy a burger they have a pretty extensive menu serving up all the American classics like fried chicken and mac ‘n’ cheese. Spanky’s is a great place to go hang out with some mates and often has live music.

Spanky Van Dykes has a pretty extensive menu serving up all the American classics like fried chicken and mac ‘n’ cheese.

Hooters

The world famous Hooters offers two deals; all you can eat wings on a Monday and half price ribs on a Wednesday. Both deals are £7.99. Although it isn’t the best quality food, it is a cool place to go grab a beer and watch some sport, or the perfect place to go for someone’s birthday. The food isn’t great, probably comparable to TGI Fridays, but the atmosphere is, and when you are paying £7.99 you shouldn’t expect too much. This is the only Hooters in the UK and is definitely worth a visit for the ‘Hooters Experience’.

George Hughes-Davies 

Follow Impact on Twitter and Facebook

Image: Nick Nguyen via Flikr.

Selflessness Is The New Sexy

Diego Costa – The Brazilian Spaniard