Impact, the University of Nottingham’s (UoN’s) fundraising campaign has reached £100 million, meaning it is two thirds of the way towards its £150 million target – just two years into the campaign.

The Impact campaign was launched in October 2011 and supports a diverse range of projects, including the University’s arts, sports and community projects; events which widen access to university; and world-leading medical research.

“We couldn’t have done the Children’s Brain Tumour Centre development without the donors”.

Since the campaign has been in place, funds have assisted in producing scientific advances. Financial support from the campaign has led to the diagnosis of childhood brain tumours being reduced from nine to seven weeks and more support for palliative care and stroke rehabilitation research.

David Walker, Professor of Paediatric Oncology and Co-Director of the Children’s Brain Tumour Research Centre at UoN, maintained that, “We couldn’t have done the Children’s Brain Tumour Centre development without the donors”.

The Impact campaign has allocated more sports bursaries and offered five hundred more scholarships.

The Impact campaign is also currently funding the University’s GlaxoSmithKline Carbon Neutral Laboratory for Sustainable Chemistry.

In regards to students, the Impact campaign has allocated more sports bursaries and offered five hundred more scholarships, as well as bursaries and prizes awarding academic and non-academic excellence.

“If I hadn’t been on the Summer School programme then I don’t think I would be here”.

Some sports bursary recipients have even succeeded in winning medals at the 2012 London Olympics; two Gold, two Silver and a Bronze.

Third-year English student, Kirsty Meakin, also said that without the University’s Widening Participation Programme, she might never have got the chance to come to UoN.

Grants have led to the setting up of the Farmers Market at Sutton Bonington.

She claimed, “If I hadn’t been on the Summer School programme then I don’t think I would be here, so I must say a big thank you to the donors who help to fund this part of the University’s work”.

The Impact campaign similarly supports Cascade, which provides funding for students undertaking charitable projects. Such grants have led to the setting up and maintaining of the award-winning Farmers Market at Sutton Bonington campus as well as building a pre-school in Africa.

“The Impact Campaign has completely transformed the interior of the [New Theatre] building”.

The UoN’s New Theatre has likewise greatly benefited from financial support from the campaign.

Nick Stevenson, the President of New Theatre, said that, “The Impact Campaign has completely transformed the interior of our building. As a student-run theatre we do absolutely everything ourselves but the Campaign has made a big difference with new seating, flexible staging, two brand new studio spaces and new technical equipment which all means we’re able to do a lot more with our productions.”

“It gives me immense pride to see tangible evidence of its impact on communities locally”.

The UoN Vice-Chancellor, Professor David Greenaway, concluded: “It is a remarkable achievement to have come so far, so soon in the Campaign’s life and it gives me immense pride to see tangible evidence of its impact on communities locally, nationally and internationally.

Our supporters should feel pride in what they have helped us to achieve and I thank everyone whose contributions, whether through donations or support, have got us to this point.”

Caroline Chan

Senior News Reporter

Image: Campbell Rowley

Follow Impact News on Twitter and Facebook

Live Review: Public Service Broadcasting, Rescue Rooms (13/11/13)

Nottingham Experienced: Cocktail Masterclass